Rivalry in the U.S. Airline Industry
In this paper, we use Market Share Instability (MSI) as a measure of the intensity of competition among airlines on a specific route. This measure is used to capture not only price competition but also non-price competition notably capacity competition. We test the effect of different variables (used in pricing studies) on MSI on a sample of 400 routes over the period 1987 to 1993. Most of the results found in pricing studies are confirmed using this measure of rivalry. For example the presence of a bankrupt carrier increases rivalry but extensive multimarket contact between rivals decreases competition. We also find that MSI was significantly lower in the early nineties when demand conditions were weak. A decline in the intensity of capacity competition could explain that result.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Sève, Québec, Québec, G1K 7P4|
Phone: (418) 656-5122
Fax: (418) 656-2707
Web page: http://www.ecn.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BARLA, Philippe & KOO, Bonchun, 1995.
"Bankruptcy Protection and Pricing Strategies in the U.S. Airline Industry,"
Cahiers de recherche
9513, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Barla, Philippe & Koo, Bonchun, 1999. "Bankruptcy protection and pricing strategies in the US airline industry," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 101-120, June.
- Severin Borenstein, 1989. "Hubs and High Fares: Dominance and Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(3), pages 344-365, Autumn.
- Caves, Richard E & Porter, Michael E, 1978. "Market Structure, Oligopoly, and Stability of Market Shares," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 289-313, June.
- Theodore E. Keeler, 1972. "Airline Regulation and Market Performance," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 3(2), pages 399-424, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:laeccr:9603. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.