Rivalry in the U.S. Airline Industry
This paper examines how the Workers'Compensation (WC) and the Unemployment Insurance (UI) programs interact to influence the duration of claims due to workplace accidents. In this paper, we use Market Share Instability (MSI) as a measure of the intensity of competition among airlines on a specific route. This measure is used to capture not only price competition but also non-price competition notably capacity competition. We test the effect of different variables (used in pricing studies) on MSI on a sample of 400 routes over the period 1987 to 1993.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UNIVERSITE LAVAL, GREPE DEPARTEMENT D'ECONOMIQUE, QUEBEC G1K 7P4.|
Phone: (418) 656-5122
Fax: (418) 656-2707
Web page: http://www.ecn.ulaval.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore E. Keeler, 1972. "Airline Regulation and Market Performance," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 3(2), pages 399-424, Autumn.
- Caves, Richard E & Porter, Michael E, 1978. "Market Structure, Oligopoly, and Stability of Market Shares," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 289-313, June.
- Barla, Philippe & Koo, Bonchun, 1999.
"Bankruptcy protection and pricing strategies in the US airline industry,"
Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 101-120, June.
- BARLA, Philippe & KOO, Bonchun, 1995. "Bankruptcy Protection and Pricing Strategies in the U.S. Airline Industry," Cahiers de recherche 9513, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Severin Borenstein, 1989. "Hubs and High Fares: Dominance and Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(3), pages 344-365, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)