Free-Agency and the Competitiveness of Major-League Baseball
I investigate whether the removal of the reserve clause in professional baseball has affected the competitive nature of the industry in the context of whether teams are actively attempting to monopolize in high- valued inputs. It is possible that a very few teams could purchase all of the best players over time leading to a highly concentrated industry in certain production categories and adversely affect the competitive nature of the industry. To investigate this possibility, I calculate the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index for homeruns and strikeouts in professional baseball from 1920 to 1993, and relate them to structural changes in baseball. I isolate the structural effect of free-agency and find no evidence that free agency has altered the competitive nature of the industry. My findings support those in Hylan, Lage and Treglia (1996).
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 1996|
|Date of revision:||31 Oct 1996|
|Note:||Type of Document - Tex; prepared on IBM PC - PC-TEX; to print on PostScript; pages: 33 ; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Severin Borenstein, 1989. "Hubs and High Fares: Dominance and Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(3), pages 344-365, Autumn.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1993. "Localized Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 66-75, February.
- James M. MacDonald, 1987. "Competition and Rail Rates for the Shipment of Corn, Soybeans, and Wheat," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(1), pages 151-163, Spring.
- Sumner, Daniel A, 1981. "Measurement of Monopoly Behavior: An Application to the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 1010-19, October.
- Drahozal, Christopher R., 1986. "The impact of free agency on the distribution of playing talent in major league baseball," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 113-121, May.
- Sullivan, Daniel, 1985. "Testing Hypotheses about Firm Behavior in the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 586-98, June.
- Marvel, Howard P, 1978. "Competition and Price Levels in the Retail Gasoline Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 252-58, May.
- Lehn, Kenneth, 1984. "Information Asymmetries in Baseball's Free Agent Market," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(1), pages 37-44, January.
- Gilbert, R Alton, 1984. "Bank Market Structure and Competition: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 617-44, November.
- Geroski, P A, 1981. "Specification and Testing the Profits-Concentration Relationship: Some Experiments for the UK," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(191), pages 279-88, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpio:9610001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.