Coordination under threshold uncertainty in a public goods game
We explored experimentally how threshold uncertainty affects coordination success in a threshold public goods game. Whereas all groups succeeded in providing the public good when the exact value of the threshold was known, uncertainty was generally detrimental for the public good provision. The negative effect of threshold uncertainty was particularly severe when it took the form of ambiguity, i.e. when players were not only unaware of the value of the threshold but also of its probability distribution. Early signaling of willingness to contribute and share the burden equitably helped groups in coping with threshold uncertainty.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/grantham.
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lange, Andreas & Vogt, Carsten & Ziegler, Andreas, 2007.
"On the importance of equity in international climate policy: An empirical analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 545-562, May.
- Lange, Andreas & Vogt, Carsten & Ziegler, Andreas, 2006. "On the Importance of Equity in International Climate Policy: An Empirical Analysis," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-42, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Koji Kotani & Kenta Tanaka & Shunsuke Managi, 2011.
"Cooperative choice and its framing effect under threshold uncertainty in a provision point mechanism,"
EMS_2011_05, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Koji Kotani & Kenta Tanaka & Shunsuke Managi, 2014. "Cooperative choice and its framing effect under threshold uncertainty in a provision point mechanism," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 329-353, November.
- Alessandro Tavoni & Astrid Dannenberg & Giorgos Kallis & Andreas Lï¿½schel, 2011.
"Inequality, communication and the avoidance of disastrous climate change,"
GRI Working Papers
34, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Alessandro Tavoni & Astrid Dannenberg & Giorgos Kallis & Andreas Loeschel, 2011. "Inequality, Communication and the Avoidance of Disastrous Climate Change," CCEP Working Papers 1103, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Alessandro Tavoni & Astrid Dannenberg & Giorgos Kallis & Andreas Löschel, 2011. "Inequality, communication and the avoidance of disastrous climate change," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 37570, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Isaac, R. Mark & McCue, Kenneth F. & Plott, Charles R., .
"Public Goods Provision in an Experimental Environment,"
428, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Mark Isaac, R. & McCue, Kenneth F. & Plott, Charles R., 1985. "Public goods provision in an experimental environment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 51-74, February.
- Michael McBride, 2010. "Threshold uncertainty in discrete public good games: an experimental study," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 77-99, February.
- Spencer, Michael A. & Swallow, Stephen K. & Shogren, Jason F. & List, John A., 2009.
"Rebate rules in threshold public good provision,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(5-6), pages 798-806, June.
- Burkhard C. Schipper & Juergen Eichberger & David Kelsey, 2006.
"Granny versus Game Theorist: Ambiguity in Experimental Games,"
627, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Jürgen Eichberger & David Kelsey & Burkhard Schipper, 2008. "Granny Versus Game Theorist: Ambiguity in Experimental Games," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 333-362, March.
- Rachel Croson & Melanie Marks, 2000. "Step Returns in Threshold Public Goods: A Meta- and Experimental Analysis," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 239-259, March.
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Rosenthal, Howard, 1984. "Participation and the provision of discrete public goods: a strategic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-193, July.
- McBride, Michael, 2006. "Discrete public goods under threshold uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1181-1199, August.
- Rondeau, Daniel & Poe, Gregory L. & Schulze, William D., 2005. "VCM or PPM? A comparison of the performance of two voluntary public goods mechanisms," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(8), pages 1581-1592, August.
- Eichberger, Jurgen & Kelsey, David, 2002. "Strategic Complements, Substitutes, and Ambiguity: The Implications for Public Goods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 436-466, October.
- Greiner, Ben, 2004. "An Online Recruitment System for Economic Experiments," MPRA Paper 13513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bagnoli, Mark & Lipman, Barton L, 1989. "Provision of Public Goods: Fully Implementing the Core through Private Contributions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 583-601, October.
- Lange, Andreas & Löschel, Andreas & Vogt, Carsten & Ziegler, Andreas, 2010.
"On the self-interested use of equity in international climate negotiations,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 359-375, April.
- Andreas Lange & Andreas Löschel & Carsten Vogt & Andreas Ziegler, 2009. "On the Self-interested Use of Equity in International Climate Negotiations," NBER Working Papers 14930, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Camerer, Colin & Weber, Martin, 1992. " Recent Developments in Modeling Preferences: Uncertainty and Ambiguity," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 325-70, October.
- Urs Fischbacher, 2007. "z-Tree: Zurich toolbox for ready-made economic experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 171-178, June.
- Nitzan, Shmuel & Romano, Richard E., 1990. "Private provision of a discrete public good with uncertain cost," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 357-370, August.
- Ralph W. Bailey & Jürgen Eichberger & David Kelsey, 2005.
"Ambiguity and Public Good Provision in Large Societies,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 7(5), pages 741-759, December.
- Bailey, Ralph W. & Eichberger, Jürgen & Kelsey, David, 2004. "Ambiguity and Public Good Provision in Large Societies," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 04-54, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lsg:lsgwps:wp64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The GRI Administration)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.