Prices and social behavior: A study of adult smoking in Canadian Aboriginal communities
This paper provides the first estimates of tobacco price elasticity for adults in Canada's Aboriginal communities, distinguishing between two price effects: the direct effect, reflecting individual reaction to a price change, and the indirect effect, whereby price influences the individual by changing community smoking behavior. Estimates suggest a 10 percent increase in price decreases daily smoking by 0.75 percentage points (1.7 percent), occasional smoking by 1.39 percentage points (9.3 percent) and average smoking intensity by 0.15 cigarettes per day (2.9 percent). Further, the indirect effect doubles the response to a change in tobacco prices over the direct effect alone.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics/research/discussion-papers Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Petrakis Emmanuel & Sartzetakis Eftichios Sophocles & Xepapadeas Anastasios, 2005.
"Environmental Information Provision as a Public Policy Instrument,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-33, November.
- Emmanuel Petrakis & Eftichios S. Sartzetakis & Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2004. "Environmental Information Provision as a Public Policy Instrument," Working Papers 0414, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Buonanno, Paolo & Carraro, Carlo & Castelnuovo, Efrem & Galeotti, Marzio, 2000.
"Emission Trading Restrictions with Endogenous Technological Change,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2514, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paolo Buonanno & Carlo Carraro & Efrem Castelnuovo & Marzio Galeotti, 2001. "Emission Trading Restrictions with Endogenous Technological Change," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 379-395, July.
- Klaus Conrad, 2005. "Price Competition and Product Differentiation When Consumers Care for the Environment," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(1), pages 1-19, 05.
- Aurora García-Gallego & Nikolaos Georgantzís, 2009. "Market Effects of Changes in Consumers' Social Responsibility," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 235-262, 03.
- Bansal, Sangeeta & Gangopadhyay, Shubhashis, 2003. "Tax/subsidy policies in the presence of environmentally aware consumers," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2, Supple), pages 333-355, March.
- Clarke, Leon & Weyant, John & Birky, Alicia, 2006. "On the sources of technological change: Assessing the evidence," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(5-6), pages 579-595, November.
- Francisco J. André & Paula González & Nicolás Porteiro, 2007.
"Strategic Quality Competition and the Porter Hypothesis,"
07.03, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Andr, Francisco J. & Gonzlez, Paula & Porteiro, Nicols, 2009. "Strategic quality competition and the Porter Hypothesis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 182-194, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lec:leecon:11/50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.