Comparative Statics for Oligopoly: A Generalized Result
We perform comparative statics for a general model of asymmetric oligopoly and derive a concise formula for the response of one firm to a marginal change in its rival’s strategic variable, taking into account the responses of all other firms. We obtain the conditions under which the sign of this response coincides with that of the mixed second-order partial derivative of the firm’s payoff function. We then propose a distinction between gross and net strategic relationships (i.e., strategic substitute and complement).
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.kyoto-u.ac.jp/projectcenter/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- X. Wang & Jingang Zhao, 2009. "On the efficiency of indirect taxes in differentiated oligopolies with asymmetric costs," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 96(3), pages 223-239, April.
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1995.
"Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0270, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1997. "Public Policy towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 642-62, September.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Neary & Dermot Leahy, 2007.
"Multilateral Subsidy Games,"
Economics Series Working Papers
346, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Takao Ohkawa & Makoto Okamura & Noritsugu Nakanishi & Kazuharu Kiyono, 2005. "The Market Selects The Wrong Firms In The Long Run ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1143-1165, November.
- Sajal Lahiri and Yoshiyasu Ono, .
"Asymmetric Oligopoly, International Trade, and Welfare: Synthesis,"
Economics Discussion Papers
435, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Sajal Lahiri & Yoshiyasu Ono, 1997. "Asymmetric oligopoly, international trade, and welfare: a synthesis," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 65(3), pages 291-310, October.
- Ngo Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 2005.
"Selective penalization of polluters: an inf-convolution approach,"
Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 421-454, 02.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 2002. "Selective Penalization Of Polluters: An Inf-Convolution Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-40, CIRANO.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- Fujiwara, Kenji, 2011.
"Losses from competition in a dynamic game model of a renewable resource oligopoly,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Kenji Fujiwara, 2010. "Losses from competition in a dynamic game model of a renewable resource oligopoly," Discussion Paper Series 51, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Apr 2010.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Salant, Stephen W, 1991. "Increasing the Profits of a Subset of Firms in Oligopoly Models with Strategic Substitutes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 658-65, June.
- Van Long, N. & Soubeyran, A., 1996.
"Cost Heterogeneity, Industry Concentration and Startegic Trade Policies,"
96a39, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Ngo, Van Long & Soubeyran, Antoine, 1997. "Cost heterogeneity, industry concentration and strategic trade policies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 207-220, August.
- Seade, Jesus, 1980. "The stability of cournot revisited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 15-27, August.
- David R. Collie, 2006. "Tariffs And Subsidies Under Asymmetric Oligopoly: Ad Valorem Versus Specific Instruments," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(3), pages 314-333, 06.
- Hiroaki Ino & Tomohiko Kawamori, 2009.
"Oligopoly with a large number of competitors: asymmetric limit result,"
Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 331-352, May.
- Hiroaki Ino & Tomohiko Kawamori, 2009. "Oligopoly with a large number of competitors: asymmetric limit result," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 353-353, May.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Fevrier, Philippe & Linnemer, Laurent, 2004. "Idiosyncratic shocks in an asymmetric Cournot oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 835-848, June.
- Collie, David, 1993. "Strategic trade policy under asymmetric oligopoly," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 275-280, May.
- Yuqing Zheng & Talia Bar & Harry M. Kaiser, 2010. "Generic Advertising in an Asymmetric Cournot Oligopoly," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 740-754.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kue:dpaper:e-12-011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graduate School of Economics Project Center)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.