Comparative Statics for Oligopoly: A Generalized Result
We perform comparative statics for a general model of asymmetric oligopoly and derive a concise formula for the response of one firm to a marginal change in its rival’s strategic variable, taking into account the responses of all other firms. We obtain the conditions under which the sign of this response coincides with that of the mixed second-order partial derivative of the firm’s payoff function. We then propose a distinction between gross and net strategic relationships (i.e., strategic substitute and complement).
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501|
Web page: http://www.econ.kyoto-u.ac.jp/projectcenter/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van Long, N. & Soubeyran, A., 1996.
"Cost Heterogeneity, Industry Concentration and Startegic Trade Policies,"
96a39, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Ngo, Van Long & Soubeyran, Antoine, 1997. "Cost heterogeneity, industry concentration and strategic trade policies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 207-220, August.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1988. "Helping Minor Firms Reduces Welfare," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1199-1202, December.
- Fujiwara, Kenji, 2011.
"Losses from competition in a dynamic game model of a renewable resource oligopoly,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Kenji Fujiwara, 2010. "Losses from competition in a dynamic game model of a renewable resource oligopoly," Discussion Paper Series 51, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Apr 2010.
- Dermot Leahy & J. Peter Neary, 1995.
"Public policy towards R&D in oligopolistic industries,"
199511, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1997. "Public Policy towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 642-662, September.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0270, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 2002.
"Selective Penalization Of Polluters: An Inf-Convolution Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Ngo Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 2005. "Selective penalization of polluters: an inf-convolution approach," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 25(2), pages 421-454, 02.
- X. Wang & Jingang Zhao, 2009. "On the efficiency of indirect taxes in differentiated oligopolies with asymmetric costs," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 96(3), pages 223-239, April.
- Peter Neary & Dermot Leahy, 2007.
"Multilateral Subsidy Games,"
Economics Series Working Papers
346, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- David R. Collie, 2006. "Tariffs And Subsidies Under Asymmetric Oligopoly: Ad Valorem Versus Specific Instruments," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(3), pages 314-333, 06.
- Van Long, Ngo & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2000.
"Existence and uniqueness of Cournot equilibrium: a contraction mapping approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 345-348, June.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 1999. "Existence and Uniqueness of Cournot Equilibrium: A Contraction Mapping Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 99s-22, CIRANO.
- F. H. Hahn, 1962. "The Stability of the Cournot Oligopoly Solution," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 329-331.
- Hogan Seamus D, 2011.
"A New Existence and Uniqueness Theorem for Continuous Games,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-28, August.
- Seamus Hogan, 2010. "A New Existence and Uniqueness Theorem for Continuous Games," Working Papers in Economics 10/59, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Salant, Stephen W, 1991. "Increasing the Profits of a Subset of Firms in Oligopoly Models with Strategic Substitutes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 658-665, June.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1994.
"Asymmetric Oligopoly, International Trade, and Welfare: Synthesis,"
Economics Discussion Papers
10032, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Sajal Lahiri & Yoshiyasu Ono, 1997. "Asymmetric oligopoly, international trade, and welfare: a synthesis," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 65(3), pages 291-310, October.
- Hiroaki Ino & Tomohiko Kawamori, 2009.
"Oligopoly with a large number of competitors: asymmetric limit result,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 39(2), pages 331-352, May.
- Hiroaki Ino & Tomohiko Kawamori, 2009. "Oligopoly with a large number of competitors: asymmetric limit result," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 39(2), pages 353-353, May.
- BENCHEKROUN, Hassan & GAUDET, Gérard, 1997.
"On the Profitability of Production Constraints in a Dynamic Natural Resource Oligopoly,"
Cahiers de recherche
9717, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Gaudet, Gerard, 2003. "On the profitability of production perturbations in a dynamic natural resource oligopoly," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1237-1252, May.
- Benchkeroun, H. & Gaudet, G., 1997. "On the Profitability of Production Constraints in a Dynamic Natural Resource Oligopoly," Cahiers de recherche 9717, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Vincenzo Denicolo & Massimo Matteuzzi, 2000. "Specific and Ad Valorem Taxation in Asymmetric Cournot Oligopolies," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 7(3), pages 335-342, May.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Yuqing Zheng & Talia Bar & Harry M. Kaiser, 2010. "Generic Advertising in an Asymmetric Cournot Oligopoly," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 740-754.
- Takao Ohkawa & Makoto Okamura & Noritsugu Nakanishi & Kazuharu Kiyono, 2005. "The Market Selects The Wrong Firms In The Long Run ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1143-1165, November.
- Collie, David, 1993. "Strategic trade policy under asymmetric oligopoly," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 275-280, May.
- Fevrier, Philippe & Linnemer, Laurent, 2004. "Idiosyncratic shocks in an asymmetric Cournot oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 835-848, June.
- Seade, Jesus, 1980. "The stability of cournot revisited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 15-27, August.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-122, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kue:dpaper:e-12-011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graduate School of Economics Project Center)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.