Incomplete Financial Markets and Jumps in Asset Prices
A dynamic pure-exchange general equilibrium model with uncertainty is studied. Fundamentals are supposed to depend continuously on states of nature. It is shown that: 1. if financial markets are complete, then asset prices vary continuously with states of nature, and; 2. if financial markets are incomplete, jumps in asset prices may be unavoidable. Consequently incomplete financial markets may increase volatility in asset prices significantly.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Chi-Fu, 1985. "Information structure and equilibrium asset prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 33-71, February.
- Laurent E. Calvet, 1999.
"Incomplete Markets and Volatility,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1865, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Laurent E. Calvet & Adlai J. Fisher, 2006.
"Multifrequency Jump-Diffusions: An Equilibrium Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
12797, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvet, Laurent E. & Fisher, Adlai J., 2008. "Multifrequency jump-diffusions: An equilibrium approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 207-226, January.
- Torben G. Andersen & Luca Benzoni & Jesper Lund, 2001.
"An Empirical Investigation of Continuous-Time Equity Return Models,"
NBER Working Papers
8510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Luca Benzoni & Jesper Lund, 2002. "An Empirical Investigation of Continuous-Time Equity Return Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1239-1284, 06.
- Bewley, Truman F., 1972. "Existence of equilibria in economies with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 514-540, June.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Monteiro, Paulo K., 1996. "Self-fulfilling equilibria: An existence theorem for a general state space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 51-62.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Alessandro Citanna & Karl Schmedders, 2005. "Excess price volatility and financial innovation," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 559-587, October.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1991. "Indeterminacy in Incomplete Market Economies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 45-61, January.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela & Zhou, Yuqing, 1998. "Smooth infinite economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 27-42, January.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Zame, William R., 1996. "The existence of security market equilibrium with a non-atomic state space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 63-84.
- Lim, G. C. & Martin, Vance L. & Teo, Leslie E., 1998. "Endogenous Jumping And Asset Price Dynamics," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 213-237, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0912. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.