Smooth economic analysis for general spaces of commodities
This paper provides an extended framework to study general equilibrium theory with commodity spaces possibly of infinite dimensions. Our approach overcomes some difficulties found in the literature since it allows the study of the equilibrium when consumption sets may have an empty interior. It also overcomes the need for separable utilities or utilities that satisfy quadratic concavity. The results are based on restricting the mathematical notions of open neighborhoods, continuity, and derivatives at a point, to only those directions that lie within the positive cone. We prove in this setting ``directional'' equivalents of the Sard-Smale and Preimage Theorems. With these tools, we define the social equilibrium set and show that it is a directional Banach manifold. Together with a suitable definition of projection map, this framework allows a natural equivalent to infinite dimensions of the ``catastrophic'' approach to general economic equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Accinelli, Elvio, 2013. "The equilibrium set of infinite dimensional Walrasian economies and the natural projection," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 435-440.
- T. J. Kehoe & D. K. Levine, 1982.
"Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies,"
312, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K, 1985. "Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 433-53, March.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1982. "Comparitive Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," UCLA Economics Working Papers 259, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Timothy J Kehoe & David K Levine, 1985. "Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1873, David K. Levine.
- Chris Shannon & William R. Zame, 2002.
"Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 631-662, March.
- Chris Shannon & William R. Zame, 2000. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," GE, Growth, Math methods 9912001, EconWPA.
- Chris Shannon and William R. Zame., 1999. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," Economics Working Papers E99-271, University of California at Berkeley.
- Shannon, Chris & Zame, William R., 1999. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3fv586x6, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2008.
"Determinacy of equilibria of smooth infinite economies,"
9437, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Andreu Mas-Colell & William Zame, 1989. "Determinacy of Equilibrium in Large Square Economies," Levine's Working Paper Archive 46, David K. Levine.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela & Zhou, Yuqing, 1998. "Smooth infinite economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 27-42, January.
- Balasko, Yves, 1997.
"Equilibrium analysis of the infinite horizon model with smooth discounted utility functions,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 783-829, May.
- Yves Balasko, 1995. "Equilibrium Analysis of the Infinite Horizon Model with Smooth Discounted Utility Functions," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 95.04, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Balasko, Yves, 1997. "Pareto optima, welfare weights, and smooth equilibrium analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 473-503.
- Elvio ACCINELLI & Puchet MARTIN, . "A Classification Of Infinity Dimensional Walrasian Economies," EcoMod2005 280900000, EcoMod.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2011.
"The equilibrium set of economies with a continuous consumption space,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 137-142, March.
- Enrique Covarrubias, 2010. "The Equilibrium Set of Economies with a Continuous Consumption Space," Working Papers 2010-10, Banco de México.
- Balasko, Yves, 1997. "The natural projection approach to the infinite-horizon model," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 251-263, April.
- Bewley, Truman F., 1972. "Existence of equilibria in economies with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 514-540, June.
- Elvio Accinelli, 2003. "About manifolds and determinacy in general equilibrium theory," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 30(2 Year 20), pages 169-177, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:53222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.