Compulsory Disclosure of Private Information Theoretical and Experimental Results for the "Acquiring-a-Company" Game
Based on the "acquiring-a-company" game of Samuelson and Bazerman (1985), we theoretically and experimentally analyze the acquisition of a firm. Thereby we compare cases of symmetrically and asymmetrically informed buyers and sell- ers. This setting allows us to predict and test the effects of information disclosure as prescribed by two recently implemented directives of the European Union, the Transparency and the Takeover-Bid Directive. Our theoretical and experimental results suggest a welfare-enhancing effect of compulsory information disclosure. Hence, the EU Transparency and the EU Takeover-Bid Directive should both be welfare enhancing.
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.jenecon.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- Brit Grosskopf & Yoella Bereby-Meyer & Max Bazerman, 2007. "On the Robustness of the Winnerâ€™s Curse Phenomenon," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 63(4), pages 389-418, December.
- Reinhard Selten & Klaus Abbink & Ricarda Cox, 2001.
"Learning Direction Theory and the Winner’s Curse,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse10_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Reinhard Selten & Klaus Abbink & Ricarda Cox, 2005. "Learning Direction Theory and the Winnerâ€™s Curse," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 5-20, April.
- Dittrich, Dennis Alexis Valin & Güth, Werner & Kocher, Martin G. & Pezanis-Christou, Paul, 2012.
"Loss aversion and learning to bid,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
18205, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Nadine Chlaß, 2011. "On Individual Cursedness - How personality shapes individuals' sensitivity to incur a winner's curse -," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-027, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jrp:jrpwrp:2014-003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.