Further Austerity and Wage Cuts Will Worsen the Euro Crisis
This note argues that the solutions to the euro-area crisis proposed by the EU governing institutions in cooperation with the IMF, based on further austerity and wage cuts, will worsen the crisis. They are unlikely to reduce both sovereign and external debt ratios of countries experiencing these problems. Quite in contrary, they are likely to further reduce the real GDP growth of these countries.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Augusto Graziani, 2002. "The Euro: An Italian perspective," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 97-105.
- Arestis, Philip & McCauley, Kevin & Sawyer, Malcolm, 2001.
"An Alternative Stability Pact for the European Union,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 113-30, January.
- Philip Arestis & Kevin McCauley & Malcolm Sawyer, 2000. "An Alternative Stability Pact for the European Union," Macroeconomics 0004043, EconWPA.
- Philip Arestis & Kevin McCauley & Malcolm Sawyer, 2000. "An Alternative Stability Pact for the European Union," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_296, Levy Economics Institute.
- Corrado Andini, 2008. "Portugal and the competitive disinflation: let the data speak," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(25), pages 1-11.
- Jacopo Ponticelli & Joachim Voth, 2011.
"Austerity and anarchy: Budget cuts and social unrest in Europe, 1919-2008,"
Economics Working Papers
1342, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2012.
- Ponticelli, Jacopo & Voth, Hans-Joachim, 2011. "Austerity and Anarchy: Budget Cuts and Social Unrest in Europe, 1919-2008," CEPR Discussion Papers 8513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacopo Ponticelli & Hans-Joachim Voth, 2012. "Austerity and Anarchy: Budget Cuts and Social Unrest in Europe, 1919-2008," Working Papers 676, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ray Barrell & Sylvia Gottschalk & Dawn Holland & Ehsan Khoman & Iana Liadze & Olga Pomerantz, 2008. "The impact of EMU on growth and employment," European Economy - Economic Papers 318, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:25:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olivier Blanchard, 2007. "Adjustment within the euro. The difficult case of Portugal," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-21, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izapps:pp37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.