An Alternative Stability Pact for the European Union
This paper proposes an alternative stability and growth pact to the one which accompanied the introduction of the euro in January 1999. The latter is part of the third stage of economic and monetary union and, will govern the economic policies of the member countries which have joined the single currency and strongly constrain the policies of those who do not join. The alternative proposed in this paper is a Full Employment, Growth and Stability Pact and would have a number of features, the most important of which is the creation of new institutional arrangements, including the creation of an investment bank. Copyright 2001 by Oxford University Press.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 25 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Honohan, 1995. "The Public Policy Role of the European Investment Bank within the EU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 315-330, 09.
- Artis, Michael J & Winkler, Bernhard, 1997. "The Stability Pact: Safeguarding the Credibility of the European Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 1688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arestis, Philip & Sawyer, Malcolm, 1998. "Keynesian Economic Policies for the New Millennium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(446), pages 181-95, January.
- M. Buti & D. Franco & H. Ongena, 1997.
"Budgetary Policies during Recessions - Retrospective Application of the "Stability and Growth Pact" to the Post-War Period,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
121, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Marco BUTI & Daniele FRANCO & Hedwig ONGENA, 1997. "Budgeetary Policies during Recessions : Retrospective Application of the Stability and Growth Pact” to the Post-War Period," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1997041, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Krugman, Paul, 1989. "The Case for Stabilizing Exchange Rates," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 61-72, Autumn.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2000.
"The Economic and Monetary Union: Current and Future Prospects,"
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 1999. "The Economic and Monetary Union: Current and Future Prospects," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_282, Levy Economics Institute.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:129:y::i:1:p:69-87 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The Stability Pact: more than a minor nuisance?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 65-113, 04.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1993. "European Monetary Unification," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1321-57, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:cambje:v:25:y:2001:i:1:p:113-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.