Money on the Table? Firms' and Workers' Gains from Productivity Spillovers through Worker Mobility
We estimate how much of the gains from productivity spillovers through worker mobility is retained by the hiring firms, by the workers who bring spillovers, and by the other workers. Using linked employer-employee data from Danish manufacturing for the period 1995-2007, we find that at least two-thirds of the total output gain of 0.11% per year is netted by the firms, while the workers who bring spillovers receive at most 6% of it as the wage premium. The large share retained by the firms implies that spillovers through worker mobility are mostly a positive externality to them.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||forthcoming in: European Economic Review|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jasjit Singh & Ajay Agrawal, 2011.
"Recruiting for Ideas: How Firms Exploit the Prior Inventions of New Hires,"
INFORMS, vol. 57(1), pages 129-150, January.
- Jasjit Singh & Ajay K. Agrawal, 2010. "Recruiting for Ideas: How Firms Exploit the Prior Inventions of New Hires," NBER Working Papers 15869, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrea Fosfuri & Massimo Motta & Thomas Ronde, 1998.
"Foreign direct investments and spillovers through workers' mobility,"
Economics Working Papers
258, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Fosfuri, Andrea & Motta, Massimo & Ronde, Thomas, 2001. "Foreign direct investment and spillovers through workers' mobility," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 205-222, February.
- Fosfuri, Andrea & Motta, Massimo & Rønde, Thomas, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment and Spillovers through Workers' Mobility," CEPR Discussion Papers 2194, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Almeida & Bruce Kogut, 1999. "Localization of Knowledge and the Mobility of Engineers in Regional Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 905-917, July.
- Markusen, James R. & Trofimenko, Natalia, 2009.
"Teaching locals new tricks: Foreign experts as a channel of knowledge transfers,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 120-131, January.
- James R. Markusen & Natalia Trofimenko, 2007. "Teaching Locals New Tricks: Foreign Experts as a Channel of Knowledge Transfers," NBER Working Papers 12872, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Trofimenko, Natalia, 2007. "Teaching locals new tricks: foreign experts as a channel of knowledge transfer," CEPR Discussion Papers 6118, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith, Jennifer C, 1996.
"Wage Interactions: Comparisons or Fall-Back Options?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 495-506, March.
- Jennifer Smith, 1995. "Wage Interactions: Comparisons or Fall-back Options?," Bank of England working papers 37, Bank of England.
- Kunal Dasgupta, 2010.
"Learning and Knowledge Diffusion in a Global Economy,"
tecipa-410, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Dasgupta, Kunal, 2012. "Learning and knowledge diffusion in a global economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 323-336.
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Dario Pozzoli, 2012.
"The effect of learning by hiring on productivity,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 43(1), pages 167-185, 03.
- Thomas Cornelissen, 2008. "The Stata command felsdvreg to fit a linear model with two high-dimensional fixed effects," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 170-189, June.
- Andrey Stoyanov & Nikolay Zubanov, 2012. "Productivity Spillovers across Firms through Worker Mobility," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 168-98, April.
- Jennifer P. Poole, 2013. "Knowledge Transfers from Multinational to Domestic Firms: Evidence from Worker Mobility," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(2), pages 393-406, May.
- Òscar Jordà, 2005. "Estimation and Inference of Impulse Responses by Local Projections," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 161-182, March.
- Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2005.
"Spillovers from Foreign Firms through Worker Mobility: An Empirical Investigation,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(4), pages 693-709, December.
- Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2004. "Spillovers from Foreign Firms through Worker Mobility: An Empirical Investigation," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 463, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gorg, Holger & Eric Strobl, 2003. "Spillovers from foreign firms through worker mobility: An empirical investigation," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 89, Royal Economic Society.
- Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2002. "Spillovers From Foreign Firms Through Worker Mobility: An Empirical Investigation," IZA Discussion Papers 591, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hanna Pesola, 2011. "Labour Mobility and Returns to Experience in Foreign Firms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(3), pages 637-664, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.