Minimum Wages and the Creation of Illegal Migration
In this paper, we explore employers' decisions regarding the employment of legal and illegal immigrants in the presence of endogenous adjustment cost, minimum wages and an enforcement budget. We show that increasing the employment of legal foreign workers will increase the number of illegal immigrants which will replace the employment of the local population and thus creating illegal migration.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Economics Bulletin, 2013, 33 (1), 434-441|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avi Weiss & Arye L. Hillman & Gil S. Epstein, 1999.
"Creating illegal immigrants,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 3-21.
- Devillanova, Carlo, 2008. "Social networks, information and health care utilization: Evidence from undocumented immigrants in Milan," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 265-286, March.
- Gil S. Epstein, 2003.
"Labor Market Interactions Between Legal and Illegal Immigrants,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 30-43, February.
- Epstein, Gil S, 2000. "Labour Market Interactions Between Legal and Illegal Immigrants," CEPR Discussion Papers 2602, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Epstein, Gil S., 2000. "Labor Market Interactions Between Legal and Illegal Immigrants," IZA Discussion Papers 204, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Epstein, Gil S. & Heizler (Cohen), Odelia, 2007.
"Illegal Migration, Enforcement and Minimum Wage,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2830, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul Levine, 1999. "The welfare economics of immigration control," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 23-43.
- Faria, Joao Ricardo & Levy, Amnon, 2003. "Illegal Immigration and Migrant Networks: Is There an Optimal Immigration Quota Policy?," Economics Working Papers wp03-08, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.