Financing Entrepreneurship and the Old-Boy Network
We study entrepreneurs' start-up financing from banks and local financiers. An informal network, whose membership cannot be observed by outsiders, conveys the good signals it gets about the hidden types of network entrepreneurs to local financiers, which are then reflected in different loan terms. We show that there are winners and losers as a result of the network even among its members. Because all projects have positive net value, it is efficient to finance them even in the absence of a network. Thus, the formation of the network is inefficient as entrepreneurs incur networking costs for purely redistributive gains in the form of better loan terms as network members.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Casson & Marina Della Giusta (ed.), 2008. "The Economics of Networks," Books, Edward Elgar, number 2194.
- Eren Inci, 2007.
"Occupational Choice and the Quality of Entrepreneurs,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
666, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Inci, Eren, 2013. "Occupational choice and the quality of entrepreneurs," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 1-21.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2001. "Venture Capitalists As Principals: Contracting, Screening, and Monitoring," NBER Working Papers 8202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naomi R. Lamoreaux & Kenneth L. Sokoloff (ed.), 2007. "Financing Innovation in the United States, 1870 to Present," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262122898, June.
- Saloner, Garth, 1985. "Old Boy Networks as Screening Mechanisms," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(3), pages 255-67, July.
- Diamond, Douglas W., 1993. "Seniority and maturity of debt contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-368, June.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:102:y:1987:i:2:p:281-92 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich, 1997.
"Venture Capital Financing, Moral Hazard and Learning,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1738, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Hege, Ulrich, 1998. "Venture capital financing, moral hazard, and learning," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 703-735, August.
- Ulrich Hege & Dirk Bergemann, 1998. "Venture capital financing, moral hazard, and learning," Post-Print hal-00481696, HAL.
- Scott Shane & Daniel Cable, 2002. "Network Ties, Reputation, and the Financing of New Ventures," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(3), pages 364-381, March.
- Mehmet Bac & Eren Inci, 2010.
"The Old-Boy Network and the Quality of Entrepreneurs,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3071, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mehmet Bac & Eren Inci, 2010. "The Old‐Boy Network and the Quality of Entrepreneurs," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 889-918, December.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2005.
"Does corruption grease or sand the wheels of growth?,"
Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 69-97, January.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2005. "Does corruption grease or sand the wheels of growth?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7364, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Orzach, Ram & Tauman, Yair, 2005. "Strategic dropouts," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 79-88, January.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Linda Datcher Loury, 2002.
"Job Information Networks, Neighborhood Effects and Inequality,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0217, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Linda Datcher Loury, 2004. "Job Information Networks, Neighborhood Effects, and Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1056-1093, December.
- Naomi R. Lamoreaux & Margaret Levenstein & Kenneth L. Sokoloff, 2004. "Financing Invention During the Second Industrial Revolution: Cleveland, Ohio, 1870-1920," NBER Working Papers 10923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bester, Helmut, 1985. "Screening vs. Rationing in Credit Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 850-55, September.
- Ramana Nanda & Tarun Khanna, 2010.
"Diasporas and Domestic Entrepreneurs: Evidence from the Indian Software Industry,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 991-1012, December.
- Ramana Nanda & Tarun Khanna, 2007. "Diasporas and Domestic Entrepreneurs: Evidence from the Indian Software Industry," Harvard Business School Working Papers 08-003, Harvard Business School, revised Feb 2009.
- Parker, Simon C., 2008. "The economics of formal business networks," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 627-640, November.
- Nofsinger, John R. & Wang, Weicheng, 2011. "Determinants of start-up firm external financing worldwide," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2282-2294, September.
- Bruderl, Josef & Preisendorfer, Peter, 1998. " Network Support and the Success of Newly Founded Businesses," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 213-25, May.
- Taylor, Curtis R, 2000. "The Old-Boy Network and the Young-Gun Effect," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(4), pages 871-91, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6288. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.