Entrepreneurial Abilities and Liabilities in a Model of Self-Selection
The role of the liability form as a signalling device is analyzed in a model of occupational choice (entrepreneurs, employees), with asymmetric information in loan markets about the abilities of entrepreneurs. The properties of the equilibrium are described. When factor prices are exogenous, the feasibility of limited liability is a Pareto improvement over a regime where there is only unlimited liability. This result does not hold when factor prices are endogenous.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Jan 1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Bell Journal of Economics (Spring 1983), 14(1): 70-80|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- Shoven, John B, 1976. "The Incidence and Efficiency Effects of Taxes on Income from Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1261-83, December.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1973.
"The Theory of 'Screening', Education, and the Distribution of Income,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
354, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "The Theory of "Screening," Education, and the Distribution of Income," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 283-300, June.
- Jaynes, Gerald David, 1978. "Equilibria in monopolistically competitive insurance markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 394-422, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:580. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew C. Regan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.