The Incidence and Efficiency Costs of Corporate Taxation When Corporate and Noncorporate Firms Produce the Same Good
One difficulty confronting Arnold C. Harberger's celebrated model of the corporate income tax is how to treat noncorporate production in primarily corporate sectors and corporate production in primarily noncorporate sectors. This paper presents a two-good model with corporate and noncorporate production of both goods. The incidence of corporate tax in the authors' mutual production model can differ markedly from that in the Harberger model. The difference between the two models in deadweight loss is also striking, with losses in the mutual production model many times larger than those in the Harberger model. Copyright 1989 by University of Chicago Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N/A, 1985. "General Policy," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 41(1), pages 112-117, January.
- Ballard, Charles L. & Fullerton, Don & Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 2009.
"A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation,"
National Bureau of Economic Research Books,
University of Chicago Press,
edition 0, number 9780226036335, April.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1985. "A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ball85-1, September.
- Shoven, John B, 1976. "The Incidence and Efficiency Effects of Taxes on Income from Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1261-1283, December.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987.
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 1043-1092
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 1978. "On the Size Distribution of Business Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 508-523, Autumn.
- Christophe Chamley, 1983.
"Entrepreneurial Abilities and Liabilities in a Model of Self-Selection,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(1), pages 70-80, Spring.
- Christophe Chamley, 1981. "Entrepreneurial Abilities and Liabilities in a Model of Self-Selection," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 580, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Don Fullerton & Yolanda Henderson, 1987.
"The Impact of Fundamental Tax Reform on the Allocation of Resources,"
in: Taxes and Capital Formation, pages 101-104
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don Fullerton & Yolanda Kodrzycki Henderson, 1987. "The Impact of Fundamental Tax Reform on the Allocation of Resources," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 401-444 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don Fullerton & Yolanda K. Henderson, 1986. "The Impact of Fundamental Tax Reform on the Allocation of Resources," NBER Working Papers 1904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973. "Taxation, corporate financial policy, and the cost of capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-34, February.
- N/A, 1985. "General Policy," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 41(1), pages 74-79, January.
- Ebrill, Liam P & Hartman, David G, 1982. "On the Incidence and Excess Burden of the Corporation Income Tax," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 37(1), pages 48-58.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Wellisz, Stanislaw, 1978. "Supervision, Loss of Control, and the Optimum Size of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 943-952, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:v:97:y:1989:i:4:p:749-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.