Sectoral Shifts, Diversification and Regional Unemployment: Evidence from Local Labour Systems in Italy
Using Local Labour Systems (LLSs) data, this work aims at assessing the effects of sectoral shifts and industry specialization patterns on regional unemployment in Italy over the years 2004-2008, when huge worker reallocation caused by changes in the international division of labour occurred. Italy represents an interesting case study because of the high degree of spatial heterogeneity in local labour market performance and the well-known North-South divide. Furthermore, the presence of strongly specialized LLSs (Industrial Districts, IDs) allows us to test whether IDs perform better than highly diversified urban areas thanks to the effect of agglomeration economies, or vice versa. Building on a semiparametric spatial auto-regressive framework, our empirical investigation documents that sectoral shifts and the degree of specialization exert a negative role on unemployment dynamics. By contrast, highly diversified areas turn out to be characterized by better labour market performances.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Publication status:||published in: Empirica, 2012, 39 (4), 525-545|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newell, Andrew T. & Pastore, Francesco, 2000.
"Regional Unemployment and Industrial Restructuring in Poland,"
IZA Discussion Papers
194, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrew Newell & Francesco Pastore, 2006. "Regional Unemployment and Industrial Restructuring in Poland," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 5-28, May.
- Andrew Newell & Francesco Pastore, 2006. "Regional Unemployment and Industrial Restructuring in Poland," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(3), pages 5-28, May.
- Andrew Newell & Francesco Pastore, 2000. "Regional Unemployment and Industrial Restructuring in Poland," CELPE Discussion Papers 51, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Simon, Curtis J & Nardinelli, Clark, 1992. "Does Industrial Diversity Always Reduce Unemployment? Evidence from the Great Depression and After," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(2), pages 384-397, April.
- Abraham, Katharine G. & Katz, Lawrence F., 1986.
"Cyclical Unemployment: Sectoral Shifts or Aggregate Disturbances?,"
3442781, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Abraham, Katharine G & Katz, Lawrence F, 1986. "Cyclical Unemployment: Sectoral Shifts or Aggregate Disturbances?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 507-522, June.
- Katharine G. Abraham & Lawrence F. Katz, 1984. "Cyclical Unemployment: Sectoral Shifts or Aggregate Disturbances?," NBER Working Papers 1410, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore (ed.), 2010. "The Labour Market Impact of the EU Enlargement. A New Regional Geography of Europe?," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, number 04.
- George R. Neumann & Robert H. Topel, 1991. "Employment Risk, Diversification, and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1341-1365.
- Lucie Samson, 1985. "A Study of the Impact of Sectoral Shifts on Aggregate Unemployment in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 518-530, August.
- Roberto Basile & Alessandro Girardi, 2010. "Specialization and risk sharing in European regions," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(5), pages 645-659, September.
- Richard Blundell & James Powell, 2001. "Endogeneity in nonparametric and semiparametric regression models," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2012. "Geoadditive models for regional count data: an application to industrial location," ERSA conference papers ersa12p83, European Regional Science Association.
- Beaudry, Catherine & Schiffauerova, Andrea, 2009. "Who's right, Marshall or Jacobs? The localization versus urbanization debate," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 318-337, March.
- Chiarini, Bruno & Piselli, Paolo, 2000. "Unemployment, Wage Pressure and Sectoral Shifts: Permanent and Temporary Consequences of Intersectoral Shocks," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 777-799, December.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore, 2010. "Structural Change and Labour Reallocation Across Regions: A Review of the Literature," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Francesco Pastore (ed.), The Labour Market Impact of the EU Enlargement. A New Regional Geography of Europe?, edition 1, chapter 2, pages 17-47 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Curtis J. Simon, 1988. "Frictional Unemployment and the Role of Industrial Diversity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(4), pages 715-728.
- Göran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.