School Attendance of Children and the Work of Mothers: A Joint Multilevel Model for India
This paper investigates the determinants of school attendance of children and their mother’s working status when the mother decides how to allocate her time and that of her children. A multilevel random effects model is applied to study the mother’s participation and the schooling status of her children in a joint framework. Using the second National Family Health Survey (NFHS-2) for India, we find that, controlling for many covariates among which wealth is the most powerful predictor, children of working mothers have a lower probability of attending school. This, together with the result that only illiterate and poor mothers with unskilled or unemployed partners have a high probability of working, points to the need for decent labour market opportunities for females. An implication of our findings is that any policy aiming both at enhancing women’s empowerment through labour and increasing children’s welfare should also target improvements in women’s conditions in the labour market.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as 'Mothers’ Employment and their Children’s Schooling: A Joint Multilevel Analysis for India' in: World Development, 2013, 41, 183-195|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cochrane, Susan H & Guilkey, David K, 1995. "The Effects of Fertility Intentions and Access to Services on Contraceptive Use in Tunisia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(4), pages 779-804, July.
- Francavilla, Francesca & Giannelli, Gianna Claudia, 2007.
"The Relation between Child Labour and Mothers' Work: The Case of India,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3099, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gianna Claudia Giannelli & Francesca Francavilla, 2007. "The Relation between Child Labour and Mothers’ Work: The Case of India," CHILD Working Papers wp22_07, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Sophia Rabe-Hesketh & Anders Skrondal & Andrew Pickles, 2004. "GLLAMM Manual," U.C. Berkeley Division of Biostatistics Working Paper Series 1160, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Alessandro Cigno, 2006.
"A constitutional theory of the family,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 19(2), pages 259-283, June.
- Alessandro Cigno, 2005. "A constitutional theory of the family," CHILD Working Papers wp14_05, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Cigno, Alessandro, 2005. "A Constitutional Theory of the Family," IZA Discussion Papers 1797, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giannelli, Gianna Claudia & Francavilla, Francesca, 2007.
"Do Family Planning Programmes Help Women's Employment? The Case of Indian Mothers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2762, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gianna Claudia Giannelli & Francesca Francavilla, 2007. "Do Family Planning Programmes Help Women’s Employment? The Case of Indian Mothers," CHILD Working Papers wp05_07, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Deborah Degraff & Richard Bilsborrow & David Guilkey, 1997. "Community-level determinants of contraceptive use in the Philippines: A structural analysis," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 34(3), pages 385-398, August.
- Anders Skrondal & Sophia Rabe-Hesketh, 2007. "Latent Variable Modelling: A Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 34(4), pages 712-745.
- Erik Plug, 2004. "Estimating the Effect of Mother's Schooling on Children's Schooling Using a Sample of Adoptees," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 358-368, March.
- Basu, Kaushik & Van, Pham Hoang, 1998. "The Economics of Child Labor," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 412-27, June.
- Jere R. Behrman & Mark R. Rosenzweig, 2002. "Does Increasing Women's Schooling Raise the Schooling of the Next Generation?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 323-334, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3531. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.