Unions and Plant Closings in Britain: New Evidence from the 1990/98 WERS
In this paper we exploit the longitudinal element of the 1990 and 1998 Workplace Employee Relations Surveys for Britain to investigate the effect of unionism on establishment closings. Contrary to both recent U.S. research and British work using information from the earlier workplace surveys, we find a robust positive association between two measures of unionism - union recognition for collective bargaining purposes and union coverage - and plant closings. This association survives the incorporation of very detailed industry controls but is driven by plants that are parts of multi-establishment enterprises. There appears to be little or no statistically significant association for single plant enterprises. In explaining our findings, we address their consistency with the widely perceived reduction in the "disadvantages of [British] unionism" in recent years.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2001|
|Publication status:||published in: Southern Economic Journal, 2003, 69 (4), 822-841|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R Disney & A Gosling & Stephen Machin, 1993.
"What has Happened to Union Recognition in Britain?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0130, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Disney, Richard & Gosling, Amanda & Machin, Stephen, 1996. "What Has Happened to Union Recognition in Britain?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(249), pages 1-18, February.
- Sue Fernie & David Metcalf, 1995. "Participation, Contingent Pay, Representation and Workplace Performance: Evidence from Great Britain," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 379-415, 09.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 1991. "Labor Unions and the Economic Performance of Unions," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number luepf, November.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J., 1990. "Wages And The Risk Of Plant Closing," Papers 6-90-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Richard B. Freeman & Morris M. Kleiner, 1999.
"Do Unions Make Enterprises Insolvent?,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(4), pages 510-527, July.
- Stephen Machin & M Stewart, 1995.
"Trade Unions and Financial Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0242, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Naercio Menezes-Filho & David Ulph & John Van Reenen, 1998. "R&D and Unionism: Comparative Evidence from British Companies and Establishments," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(1), pages 45-63, October.
- Manning, Alan, 1993.
"Pre-strike Ballots and Wage-Employment Bargaining,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 45(3), pages 422-39, July.
- Macpherson, D.A. & Dunne, T., 1992. "Unionism and Gross Employment Flows," Working Papers 1992_10_5, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- David Metcalf, 1993. "Industrial Relations and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0129, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- David Metcalf, 1993. "Industrial Relations and Economic Performance," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 255-283, 06.
- Stephen Machin, 1995. "Plant Closures and Unionization in British Establishments," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 55-68, 03.
- Karier, Thomas M, 1985. "Unions and Monopoly Profits," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 34-42, February.
- Denny, K. & Nickell, S., 1990.
"Unions And Investment In British Industry,"
Economics Series Working Papers
9992, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bruce C. Fallick & Kevin A. Hassett, 1996.
"Investment and union certification,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
96-43, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Clark, Kim B, 1984. "Unionization and Firm Performance: The Impact on Profits, Growth, and Productivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 893-919, December.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1983.
"A Competitive Theory of Monopoly Unionism,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 631-43, September.
- Menezes-Filho, Naercio & Ulph, David & Van Reenen, John, 1998. "The determination of R&D: Empirical evidence on the role of unions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 919-930, May.
- Curme, Michael & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1990. "The Impact of the Threat of Bankruptcy on the Structure of Compensation," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 419-47, October.
- Addison, John T & Chilton, John B, 1998. "Self-Enforcing Union Contracts: Efficient Investment and Employment," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(3), pages 349-69, July.
- Blanchflower, David G & Millward, Neil & Oswald, Andrew J, 1991. "Unionism and Employment Behaviour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 815-34, July.
- Grout, Paul A, 1984. "Investment and Wages in the Absence of Binding Contracts: A Nash Bargining Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 449-60, March.
- Kuhn, Peter, 1986. "Wages, Effort, and Incentive Compatibility in Life-Cycle Employment Contracts," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(1), pages 28-49, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.