Investment and Union Certification
Using data on union certification elections, the authors estimate the impact of unionization on firms' investment behavior. Employing both a standard q model and an 'investment surprises' technique, they find that union certification significantly reduces investment in the year following the election. The authors find that a winning certification election has, on average, about the same effect on investment in the year following the event as would--given the elasticity measures taken from the public finance literature--a 33 percentage-point increase in the corporate tax. The magnitude of the response in years further away from the election is less certain. Copyright 1999 by University of Chicago Press.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Connolly, Robert A & Hirsch, Barry T & Hirschey, Mark, 1986. "Union Rent Seeking, Intangible Capital, and Market Value of the Firm," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 567-577, November.
- Machin, Stephen J & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1991. "The Effects of Unions on Organisational Change and Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 835-854, July.
- Voos, Paula B & Mishel, Lawrence R, 1986. "The Union Impact on Profits in the Supermarket Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 513-517, August.
- Voos, Paula B & Mishel, Lawrence R, 1986. "The Union Impact on Profits: Evidence from Industry Price-Cost Margin Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(1), pages 105-133, January.
- Harry G. Johnson & Peter Mieszkowski, 1970. "The Effects of Unionization on the Distribution of Income: A General Equilibrium Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(4), pages 539-561.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1994. "A Reconsideration of Investment Behavior Using Tax Reforms as Natural Experiments," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 1-74.
- Fallick, Bruce C & Hassett, Kevin A, 1996.
"Unionization and Acquisitions,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(1), pages 51-73, January.
- Fallick, B.C. & Hassett,K., 1990. "Unionization And Acquisitions," Papers 31, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Bruce C. Fallick & Kevin A. Hassett, 1995. "Unionization and acquisitions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rose, Nancy L, 1987. "Labor Rent Sharing and Regulation: Evidence from the Trucking Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1146-1178, December.
- Bronars, Stephen G & Deere, Donald R, 1993. "Union Organizing Activity, Firm Growth, and the Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 203-220, March.
- Denny, Kevin & Nickell, Stephen J, 1992. "Unions and Investment in British Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 874-887, July.
- Denny, K. & Nickell, S., 1990. "Unions And Investment In British Industry," Economics Series Working Papers 9992, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Barry T. Hirsch & Robert A. Connolly, 1987. "Do Unions Capture Monopoly Profits?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(1), pages 118-136, October.
- Addison, John T & Hirsch, Barry T, 1989. "Union Effects on Productivity, Profits, and Growth: Has the Long Run Arrived?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 72-105, January.
- Michael A. Salinger, 1984. "Tobin's q, Unionization, and the Concentration-Profits Relationship," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(2), pages 159-170, Summer. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlabec:v:17:y:1999:i:3:p:570-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.