Do Wages Compensate for Anticipated Working Time Restrictions? Evidence from Seasonal Employment in Austria
In this paper we investigate the existence of compensating wage differentials across seasonal and non seasonal jobs, which arise due to anticipated working time restrictions. We build on a theoretical model by Abowd and Ashenfelter (1981), which links the compensating wage differential to variation in individual unemployment through the effect of the unemployment insurance and the compensated labor supply elasticity. Since the Austrian labor market is characterized by an unusually high share of seasonal employment, our data provides the ideal setting in which to empirically test this model. We use the very rich information contained in the Austrian administrative records to derive a flexible definition of seasonal employment based on observed regularities in employment patterns. We find that employers pay on average a positive wage differential of about 11% for seasonal jobs and that the unemployment insurance system contributes a similar amount.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Labor Economics, 2008, 26(1), 181-221|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & James Powell, 2001. "Endogeneity in nonparametric and semiparametric regression models," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- John M. Abowd & Orley C. Ashenfelter, 1981.
"Anticipated Unemployment, Temporary Layoffs, and Compensating Wage Differentials,"
in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 141-170
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Orley Ashenfelter, 1980. "Anticipated Unemployment, Temporary Layoffs and Compensating Wage Differentials," Working Papers 517, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1998.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models,"
98-6, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1999. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 565-604, May.
- Whitney Newey & James Powell & Francis Vella, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Working papers 98-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Garen, John, 1988. "Compensating Wage Differentials and the Endogeneity of Job Riskiness," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 9-16, February.
- Florian Stahl & Alfred Stiglbauer & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 2002.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria,"
78, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Alfred Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef ZweimÃ¼ller, 2003. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 127-148, June.
- Alfred M Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 2002. "Job creation and job destruction in a regulated labor market: The case of Austria," Economics working papers 2002-05, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Stahl, Florian & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," IZA Discussion Papers 546, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stahl, Florian & Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labour Market: The Case of Austria," CEPR Discussion Papers 3497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lalive, Rafael, 2003.
"Did We Overestimate the Value of Health?,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 171-193, October.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S & Wolfe, John R, 1990.
"Compensating Wage Differentials and the Duration of Wage Loss,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages 175-197, January.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & John R. Wolfe, 1986. "Compensating Wage Differentials and the Duration of Wage Loss," NBER Working Papers 1887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Topel, Robert H, 1984. "Equilibrium Earnings, Turnover, and Unemployment: New Evidence," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(4), pages 500-522, October.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Assaad, Ragui & Tunali, Insan, 2002.
"Wage formation and recurrent unemployment,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 17-61, February.
- Ragui Assaad & Insan Tunali, 2000. "Wage Formation and Recurrent Unemployment," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1623, Econometric Society.
- Hofer, Helmut & Pichelmann, Karl & Schuh, Andreas-Ulrich, 1998.
"Price and Quantity Adjustments in the Austrian Labour Markets,"
57, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Helmut Hofer & Karl Pichelmann & Andreas-Ulrich Schuh, 2001. "Price and quantity adjustments in the Austrian labour market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 581-592.
- Li, Elizabeth H, 1986. "Compensating Differentials for Cyclical and Noncyclical Unemployment: The Interaction between Investors' and Employees' Risk Aversion," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(2), pages 277-300, April.
- Moretti, Enrico, 2000. "Do Wages Compensate for Risk of Unemployment? Parametric and Semiparametric Evidence from Seasonal Jobs," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 45-66, January.
- Nicole M. Fortin, 2006. "Higher-Education Policies and the College Wage Premium: Cross-State Evidence from the 1990s," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 959-987, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2242. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.