Do Wages Compensate for Anticipated Working Time Restrictions? Evidence from Seasonal Employment in Austria
In this paper we investigate the existence of compensating wage differentials across seasonal and non seasonal jobs, which arise due to anticipated working time restrictions. We build on a theoretical model by Abowd and Ashenfelter (1981), which links the compensating wage differential to variation in individual unemployment through the effect of the unemployment insurance and the compensated labor supply elasticity. Since the Austrian labor market is characterized by an unusually high share of seasonal employment, our data provides the ideal setting in which to empirically test this model. We use the very rich information contained in the Austrian administrative records to derive a flexible definition of seasonal employment based on observed regularities in employment patterns. We find that employers pay on average a positive wage differential of about 11% for seasonal jobs and that the unemployment insurance system contributes a similar amount.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Labor Economics, 2008, 26(1), 181-221|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moretti, Enrico, 2000. " Do Wages Compensate for Risk of Unemployment? Parametric and Semiparametric Evidence from Seasonal Jobs," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 45-66, January.
- Helmut Hofer & Karl Pichelmann & Andreas-Ulrich Schuh, 2001.
"Price and quantity adjustments in the Austrian labour market,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 581-592.
- Hofer, Helmut & Pichelmann, Karl & Schuh, Andreas-Ulrich, 1998. "Price and Quantity Adjustments in the Austrian Labour Markets," Economics Series 57, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Alfred M Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweim�ller, 2002.
"Job creation and job destruction in a regulated labor market: The case of Austria,"
Economics working papers
2002-05, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Alfred Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef ZweimÃ¼ller, 2003. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 127-148, June.
- Stahl, Florian & Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labour Market: The Case of Austria," CEPR Discussion Papers 3497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Stahl, Florian & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," IZA Discussion Papers 546, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Florian Stahl & Alfred Stiglbauer & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," Working Papers 78, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Hamermesh, Daniel S & Wolfe, John R, 1990.
"Compensating Wage Differentials and the Duration of Wage Loss,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages S175-97, January.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & John R. Wolfe, 1986. "Compensating Wage Differentials and the Duration of Wage Loss," NBER Working Papers 1887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael Lalive, .
"Did we Overestimat the Value of Health?,"
IEW - Working Papers
060, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Whitney Newey & James Powell & Francis Vella, 1998.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models,"
98-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1999. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 565-604, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Working papers 98-6, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Topel, Robert H, 1984. "Equilibrium Earnings, Turnover, and Unemployment: New Evidence," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(4), pages 500-522, October.
- Richard Blundell & James Powell, 2001. "Endogeneity in nonparametric and semiparametric regression models," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Assaad, Ragui & Tunali, Insan, 2002. "Wage formation and recurrent unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 17-61, February.
- John M. Abowd & Orley C. Ashenfelter, 1981.
"Anticipated Unemployment, Temporary Layoffs, and Compensating Wage Differentials,"
in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 141-170
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Abowd & Orley Ashenfelter, 1980. "Anticipated Unemployment, Temporary Layoffs and Compensating Wage Differentials," Working Papers 517, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Garen, John, 1988. "Compensating Wage Differentials and the Endogeneity of Job Riskiness," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 9-16, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2242. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.