The Demand for Labor: An Analysis Using Matched Employer-Employee Data from the German LIAB. Will the High Unskilled Worker Own-Wage Elasticity Please Stand Up?
This paper uses matched employee-employer LIAB data to provide panel estimates of the structure of labor demand in Germany, 1993-2002, distinguishing between highly skilled, skilled, and unskilled labor and between the manufacturing and service sectors. Reflecting current preoccupations, our demand analysis seeks also to accommodate the impact of technology and trade in addition to wages. The bottom-line interests are to provide elasticities of the demand for unskilled (and other) labor that should assist in short-run policy design and to identify the extent of skill biases or otherwise in trade and technology.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Labor Research, 2008, 29 (2), 114-137|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2004.
"Technological change, organizational change, and job turnover,"
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 265-291, June.
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," CEPR Discussion Papers 3534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," IZA Discussion Papers 570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Cahuc & AndrÃ© Zylberberg, 2004.
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026203316x, December.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014. "Labor Economics," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01076752, HAL.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014. "Labor Economics," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/1oclgdahv98, Sciences Po.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Christensen, Laurits R, 1974. "Testing for the Existence of a Consistent Aggregate Index of Labor Inputs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 391-404, June.
- Falk, Martin & Seim, Katja, 1999. "Workers' skill level and information technology: evidence from German service firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-14, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bellmann, Lutz & Schank, Thorsten, 2000. "Innovations, Wages and Demand for Heterogeneous Labour: New Evidence from a Matched Employer-Employee Data-Set," IZA Discussion Papers 112, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kölling, Arnd & Schank, Thorsten, 2002.
"Skill-biased technological change, international trade and the wage structure,"
14, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Arnd Kölling & Thorsten Schank, 2002. "Skill-biased technological change, international trade and the wage structure," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B1-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Addison, John T. & Schank, Thorsten & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003.
"German Works Councils in the Production Process,"
IZA Discussion Papers
812, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zwick, Thomas & Wolf, Elke, 2002. "Reassessing the Impact of High Performance Workplaces," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-07, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fitzenberger Bernd, 1999. "International Trade and the Skill Structure of Wages and Employment in West Germany / Außenhandel und die Qualifikationsstruktur von Löhnen und Beschäftigung in Westdeutschland," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 219(1-2), pages 67-89, February.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1999.
"Multi-Task Learning and the Reorganization of Work. From Tayloristic to Holistic Organization,"
IZA Discussion Papers
39, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 2000. "Multitask Learning and the Reorganization of Work: From Tayloristic to Holistic Organization," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 353-376, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1780. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.