The Demand for Labor: An Analysis Using Matched Employer–Employee Data from the German LIAB. Will the High Unskilled Worker Own-Wage Elasticity Please Stand Up?
This paper uses matched employee-employer LIAB data to provide panel estimates of the structure of labor demand in Germany, 1993-2002, distinguishing between highly skilled, skilled, and unskilled labor and between the manufacturing and service sectors. Reflecting current preoccupations, our demand analysis seeks also to accommodate the impact of technology and trade in addition to wages. The bottom-line interests are to provide elasticities of the demand for unskilled (and other) labor that should assist in short-run policy design and to identify the extent of skill biases or otherwise in trade and technology.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 29 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12122|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bellmann, Lutz & Schank, Thorsten, 2000. "Innovations, Wages and Demand for Heterogeneous Labour: New Evidence from a Matched Employer-Employee Data-Set," IZA Discussion Papers 112, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014.
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/1oclgdahv98, Sciences Po.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014. "Labor Economics," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01076752, HAL.
- Arnd Kölling & Thorsten Schank, 2002.
"Skill-biased technological change, international trade and the wage structure,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
B1-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Kölling, Arnd & Schank, Thorsten, 2002. "Skill-biased technological change, international trade and the wage structure," Discussion Papers 14, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2002.
"Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover,"
IZA Discussion Papers
570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2004. "Technological change, organizational change, and job turnover," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 265-291, June.
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," CEPR Discussion Papers 3534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John T. Addison & Thorsten Schank & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2006.
"Works Councils in the Production Process,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 126(2), pages 251-283.
- Addison, John T. & Schank, Thorsten & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2003.
"German Works Councils in the Production Process,"
IZA Discussion Papers
812, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hujer, Reinhard & Caliendo, Marco & Radic, Dubravko, 2002. "Skill Biased Technological and Organizational Change: Estimating a Mixed Simultaneous Equation Model Using the IAB Establishment Panel," IZA Discussion Papers 566, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernd Fitzenberger, 1999. "International Trade and the Skill Structure of Wages and Employment in West Germany," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 219(1+2), pages 67-89, July.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Falk, Martin & Seim, Katja, 1999. "Workers' skill level and information technology: evidence from German service firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-14, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bond, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 2007. "Microeconometric Models of Investment and Employment," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 65 Elsevier.
- Ryan, David L. & Wales, Terence J., 2000. "Imposing local concavity in the translog and generalized Leontief cost functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 253-260, June.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 2000.
"A dynamic heterogeneous labour demand model for German manufacturing,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
00-16, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Martin Falk & Bertrand Koebel, 2001. "A dynamic heterogeneous labour demand model for German manufacturing," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 339-348.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Christensen, Laurits R, 1974. "Testing for the Existence of a Consistent Aggregate Index of Labor Inputs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 391-404, June.
- Zwick, Thomas & Wolf, Elke, 2002. "Reassessing the Impact of High Performance Workplaces," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-07, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1999.
"Multi-Task Learning and the Reorganization of Work. From Tayloristic to Holistic Organization,"
IZA Discussion Papers
39, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J, 2000. "Multitask Learning and the Reorganization of Work: From Tayloristic to Holistic Organization," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 353-76, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jlabre:v:29:y:2008:i:2:p:114-137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.