A Return of the Threshing Ring? Motivations, Benefits and Challenges of Machinery and Labor Sharing Arrangements
Cooperative approaches provide an alternative for small- and medium-sized producers to obtain the efficiencies of large farming operations and remain competitive in an increasingly concentrated agricultural industry. This article examines the motivation and effectiveness of equipment and labor sharing arrangements in the Midwestern US. Case study evidence shows that in addition to cost savings, access to skilled, seasonal labor is an important motivation for farm-level cooperation. Key factors identified for successful cooperative agreements include compatibility of operations and members' willingness to communicate and adapt. Sharing resources is found to improve farm profitability, efficiency and farmers' quality of life.
|Date of creation:||05 May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fulton, Murray E. & Harris, Andrea, 2000. "The Cuma Farm Machinery Co-Operatives," Miscellaneous Publications 31774, University of Saskatchewan, Centre for the Study of Co-operatives.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Beethika Khan, 2004.
"Adoption of New Technology,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Beethika Khan, 2003. "Adoption of New Technology," NBER Working Papers 9730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Khan, Beethika, 2003. "Adoption of New Technology," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3wg4p528, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Artz, Georgeanne M. & Edwards, William & Olson, Frayne, 2009. "Farm Machinery & Labor Sharing Manual," Staff General Research Papers 34482, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Foreman, Linda F., 2006. "Characteristics and Production Costs of U.S. Corn Farms, 2001," Economic Information Bulletin 7205, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- McBride, William D., 2003. "Production Costs Critical to Farming Decisions," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, September.
- Harris, Andrea & Fulton, Murray E., 2000. "Farm Machinery Co-Operatives: An Idea Worth Sharing," Miscellaneous Publications 31762, University of Saskatchewan, Centre for the Study of Co-operatives.
- Sunding, David & Zilberman, David, 2001. "The agricultural innovation process: Research and technology adoption in a changing agricultural sector," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 207-261 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:13065. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.