Assessment of efficiency in basic and secondary education in Tunisia, a regional analysis
We evaluate the efficiency of basic and secondary education in 24 governorates of Tunisia during the period 1999-2008 using a non-parametric approach, DEA (Data Envelopment Analysis). We use four inputs: number of teacher per 100 students, number of classes per 100 students, number of schools per million inhabitants and education spending per student, while the output measures include the success rate of baccalaureate exam and the rate of nondoubling in the 9th year. Our results show that there is a positive relationship between school resources and student achievement and performance. Moreover, there was an increase in output efficiency scores in most governorates through the period from 1999 to 2008.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL|
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hédi Essid & Pierre Ouellette & Stephane Vigeant, 2011.
"Small is not that beautiful after all: Measuring the scale efficiency of Tunisian High Schools using a DEA-bootstrap method,"
- Hédi Essid & Pierre Ouellette & Stéphane Vigeant, 2013. "Small is not that beautiful after all: measuring the scale efficiency of Tunisian high schools using a DEA-bootstrap method," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1109-1120, March.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Robert J. Barro, 1997.
"Schooling Quality in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
6198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanent, Heikki A., 1998.
"Efficiency differences of finnish senior secondary schools: An application of DEA and Tobit analysis,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 377-394, October.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanen, Heikki, 1996. "Efficiency Differences of Finnish Senior Secondary Schools: An Application of DEA and Tobit-Analysis," Discussion Papers 570, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Non-parametric approaches to education and health efficiency in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 8, pages 227-246, November.
- António Afonso & Mariana Santos, 2008. "A Dea Approach To The Relative Efficiency Of Portuguese Public Universities," Portuguese Journal of Management Studies, ISEG, Universidade de Lisboa, vol. 0(1), pages 67-88.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Afonso, Antonio & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2006.
"Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: A semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 476-491, May.
- Afonso, António & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2005. "Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: a semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs," Working Paper Series 0494, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005. "Cross-country Efficiency of Secondary Education Provision: a Semi-parametric Analysis with Nondiscretionary Inputs," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/05, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Kuziemko, Ilyana, 2006. "Using shocks to school enrollment to estimate the effect of school size on student achievement," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 63-75, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1996. "Measuring Investment in Education," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 9-30, Fall.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-1177, September.
- Melville L. McMillan & Debasish Datta, 1998. "The Relative Efficiencies of Canadian Universities: A DEA Perspective," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(4), pages 485-511, December.
- John Ruggiero & Donald F. Vitaliano, 1999. "Assessing The Efficiency Of Public Schools Using Data Envelopment Analysis And Frontier Regression," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(3), pages 321-331, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp062013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.