Competition in tourism arrivals – A multidimensional index of geographical structural similarity
Given the economic importance of the tourism sector, countries actively compete for attracting tourism flows. In a bilateral perspective, an important determinant of the degree of competition is the geographical structure of tourism inflows, i.e., the relative importance of the different source countries. A higher overlap of these flows indicates greater competition. The goal of the present study is to propose a methodological approach to quantify this overlap. Taking some indicators traditionally used in international trade analysis as inspiration, we propose a methodology that measures, for each pair of countries, the degree of similarity between the geographical structures of tourism inflows. The methodology takes a multidimensional concept of structural similarity in order to incorporate relevant dimensions of international tourism flows today.
|Date of creation:||26 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://bru-unide.iscte.pt/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicole Palan, 2010. "Measurement of Specialization – The Choice of Indices," FIW Working Paper series 062, FIW.
- M. Thea Sinclair, 1998. "Tourism and economic development: A survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 1-51.
- Lucia Tajoli & Lucia De Benedictis, 2006.
"Economic Integration and Similarity in Trade Structures,"
2006.54, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Luca Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2007. "Economic integration and similarity in trade structures," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 117-137, April.
- Rhys Jenkins, 2008. "Measuring the Competitive Threat from China for other Southern Exporters," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1351-1366, October.
- Kirovska, Zanina, 2011. "Strategic Management Within The Tourism And The World Globalization," UTMS Journal of Economics, University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia, vol. 2(1), pages 69-76.
- Crespo, Nuno & Simões, Nádia, 2012. "On the measurement of a multidimensional concept of structural similarity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 115-117.
- Martin Lusticky, 2011. "Benchmarking As A Quality Enhancement Method Of Regional Planning In Tourism," Journal of Global Management, Global Research Agency, vol. 2(1), pages 1-11, July.
- Gillian Bristow, 2005. "Everyone's a 'winner': problematising the discourse of regional competitiveness," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 285-304, June.
- Palan, Nicole & Schmiedeberg, Claudia, 2010. "Structural convergence of European countries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 85-100, May.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007.
"Integration of CEECs into EU Market: Structural Change and Convergence,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 611-632, 09.
- Maria Paula Fontoura & Nuno Crespo, 2004. "Integration of CEECs into EU Markets: Structural Change and Convergence," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/15, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Crouch, Geoffrey I. & Ritchie, J. R. Brent, 1999. "Tourism, Competitiveness, and Societal Prosperity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 137-152, March.
- Luigi DUMITRESCU & Simona VINEREAN, 2010. "International Tourism Market Segmentation Based on Consumer Behavior," REVISTA DE MANAGEMENT COMPARAT INTERNATIONAL/REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL COMPARATIVE MANAGEMENT, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 11(5), pages 757-763, December.
- Jay Squalli & Kenneth Wilson & Sarah Hugo, 2008. "An analysis of growth competitiveness," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 105-126.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isc:iscwp2:bruwp1305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Henrique Monteiro)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.