The EU enlargement and domestic employment
We propose a study on the interdependence among EU member states, focusing on their labor markets over the period 1995-2005. Increased accessibility of detailed sector level labor statistics allows us to consider trade based linkages and interaction mechanisms between domestic and foreign employment in manufacturing and tradable business services in "Old" and "New" partners in the EU. From the estimate of the empirical model, the domestic demand for labor in the EU-15 is negatively affected by other "Old" EU members'' average cost of labor and positively affected by the average cost of labor in ''New'' partners: "Old" EU members'' domestic labor then appears as a complement with respect to other "Old" EU partners'' labor and as a substitute with respect to workers in ''New'' members. Finally, employment in the latter group of countries is not really affected by wage conditions in partners regardeless of the level of their development.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Hijzen & Paul Swaim, 2007.
"Does offshoring reduce industry employment?,"
National Institute Economic Review,
National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 201(1), pages 86-96, July.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2006.
"Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring,"
NBER Working Papers
12721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter, 2005. "Labor market effects of outsourcing under industrial interdependence," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 349-363.
- Ulrike Hotopp & Slavo Radosevic & Kate Bishop, 2005.
"Trade and Industrial Upgrading in Countries of Central and Eastern Europe: Patterns of Scale- and Scope-Based Learning,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 20-37, August.
- Ulrike Hotopp & Slavo Radosevic & Kate Bishop, 2005. "Trade and Industrial Upgrading in Countries of Central and Eastern Europe: Patterns of Scale- and Scope-Based Learning," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 20-37, August.
- Ulrike Hotopp & Slavo Radosevic & Kate Bishop, 2002. "Trade and industrial upgrading in countries of central and eastern Europe: patterns of scale and scope based learning," UCL SSEES Economics and Business working paper series 23, UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES).
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004. "Two Dimensions of Convergence: National and International Wage Adjustment Effects of Cross-border Outsourcing in Europe," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 833-843, November.
- Peter Egger, 2006. "Intermediate goods trade and international wage convergence in Central Europe," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 181-192, September.
- Peter Egger & Robert Stehrer, 2001.
"International Outsourcing and the Skill-Specific Wage Bill in Eastern Europe,"
wiiw Working Papers
17, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Peter Egger & Robert Stehrer, 2003. "International Outsourcing and the Skill--Specific Wage Bill in Eastern Europe," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 61-72, January.
- Peter Egger & Robert Stehrer, . "International Outsourcing and the Skill-Specific Wage Bill in Eastern Europe," WIFO Working Papers 151, WIFO.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2005. "The Determinants of EU Processing Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 147-168, 02.
- Luca Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2007.
"Economic integration and similarity in trade structures,"
Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 117-137, April.
- Lucia Tajoli & Lucia De Benedictis, 2006. "Economic Integration and Similarity in Trade Structures," Working Papers 2006.54, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Luca De Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2008. "Similarity in trade structures, integration and catching-up," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(2), pages 165-182, 04.
- Maria Paula Fontoura & Nuno Crespo, 2004.
"Integration of CEECs into EU Markets: Structural Change and Convergence,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2004/15, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007. "Integration of CEECs into EU Market: Structural Change and Convergence," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 611-632, 09.
- Wilhelm Kohler, 2004. "International outsourcing and factor prices with multistage production," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(494), pages C166-C185, 03.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2002. "How international outsourcing drives up Eastern European wages," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(1), pages 83-96, March.
- Hartmut Egger & Udo Kreickemeier, 2005.
"International Fragmentation: Boon or Bane for Domestic Employment?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1595, CESifo Group Munich.
- Egger, Hartmut & Kreickemeier, Udo, 2008. "International fragmentation: Boon or bane for domestic employment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 116-132, January.
- Matthew J. Slaughter, 1995. "Multinational Corporations, Outsourcing, and American Wage Divergence," NBER Working Papers 5253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra & Gordon Hanson, 2001. "Global Production Sharing and Rising Inequality: A Survey of Trade and Wages," NBER Working Papers 8372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choi, E. Kwan & Harrigan, James, 2003. "Handbook of International Trade," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11375, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2006. "The rise of offshoring: it's not wine for cloth anymore," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 59-102.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2000. "Outsourcing and skill-specific employment in a small economy: Austria and the fall of the Iron Curtain," Economics working papers 2000-24, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.