Revealed competition for greenfield investments between European regions
In the modern economy, cities are assumed to be in fierce competition over attracting foreign investments in leading sectors of the world economy. Despite the rich theoretical discourse on these 'wars', it remains unclear which territories are competing with each other over which types of investments Combining insights from international economics, international business, and urban systems literature, we develop an indicator to measure revealed competition between territories for investments based on the overlap of investment portfolios of regions. Taking competition for greenfield investments between European regions as a test subject, we identify competitive market segments, derive the competitive threat a region faces from other regions, the competitive threat regions pose to other regions, and the most important market segments in which regions compete. We show that European regions with similar locational endowments pose a fiercer competitive thre at to one another. In addition, regions that are sufficiently large and distinctive, face the smallest average competitive threat from all other regions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://joeg.oxfordjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- Gillian Bristow, 2005. "Everyone's a 'winner': problematising the discourse of regional competitiveness," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 285-304, June.
- Peter J Buckley & Timothy M Devinney & Jordan J Louviere, 2007. "Do managers behave the way theory suggests? A choice-theoretic examination of foreign direct investment location decision-making," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(7), pages 1069-1094, December.
- Ian R. Gordon & Paul C. Cheshire, 1998. "original: Territorial competition: Some lessons for policy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 321-346.
- Michael Kitson & Ron Martin & Peter Tyler, 2004. "Regional Competitiveness: An Elusive yet Key Concept?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 991-999.
- Rhys Jenkins, 2008. "Measuring the Competitive Threat from China for other Southern Exporters," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1351-1366, October.
- Miguel A. Márquez & Geoffrey J.D. Hewings, 2003. "Geographical competition between regional economies: The case of Spain," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 559-580, December.
- Allen Scott & Michael Storper, 2003.
"Regions, Globalization, Development,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 579-593.
- Philip McCann, 2011. "International business and economic geography: knowledge, time and transactions costs," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 309-317, March.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market,"
University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 291-314, June.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3419, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Single Market," Development Working Papers 160, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- J Peter Neary, 2001. "Foreign Direct Iinvestment and the Single Market," Working Papers 200124, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Jenkins, Rhys, 2008. "Measuring the Competitive Threat from China," Working Paper Series RP2008/11, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Brocker, Johannes & Rohweder, Herold C, 1990. "Barriers to International Trade: Methods of Measurement and Empirical Evidence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 289-305.
- Mataloni Jr., Raymond J., 2011. "The structure of location choice for new U.S. manufacturing investments in Asia-Pacific," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 154-165, April.
- Marie-Line Duboz & Julie Le Gallo, 2011. "Are EU-15 and CEEC agricultural exports in competition? Evidence for 1995-2005," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 134-146.
- Burger, M.J. & van Oort, F.G. & Linders, G.J.M., 2009.
"On the Specification of the Gravity Model of Trade: Zeros, Excess Zeros and Zero-Inflated Estimation,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2009-003-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Martijn Burger & Frank van Oort & Gert-Jan Linders, 2009. "On the Specification of the Gravity Model of Trade: Zeros, Excess Zeros and Zero-inflated Estimation," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 167-190.
- Edward Malecki, 2004. "Jockeying for Position: What It Means and Why It Matters to Regional Development Policy When Places Compete," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1101-1120.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008.
"How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/10143, Sciences Po.
- Joze Mencinger, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Always Enhance Economic Growth?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 491-508, November.
- Kellman, Mitchell & Schroder, Tim, 1983. "The Export Similarity Index: Some Structural Tests," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(369), pages 193-98, March.
- van Oort, F.G. & Burger, M.J. & Raspe, O., 2009.
"On the Economic Foundation of the Urban Network Paradigm: Spatial Integration, Functional Integration and Economic Complementarities within the Dutch Randstad,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2009-039-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Frank van Oort & Martijn Burger & Otto Raspe, 2010. "On the Economic Foundation of the Urban Network Paradigm: Spatial Integration, Functional Integration and Economic Complementarities within the Dutch Randstad," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(4), pages 725-748, April.
- Ronald S Wall & Martijn J Burger & G A (Bert) van der Knaap, 2011. "The geography of global corporate networks: the poor, the rich, and the happy few countries," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 43(4), pages 904-927, April.
- Hymer, Stephen, 1970. "The Efficiency (Contradictions) of Multinational Corporations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(2), pages 441-48, May.
- Camagni, Roberto, 2002. "On the concept of territorial competitiveness: sound or misleading?," ERSA conference papers ersa02p518, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberto Basile & Davide Castellani & Antonello Zanfei, 2009. "National boundaries and the location of multinational firms in Europe," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(4), pages 733-748, November.
- Shiuh-Shen Chien & Ian Gordon, 2008. "Territorial Competition in China and the West," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 31-49.
- Michael E. Porter, 2000. "Location, Competition, and Economic Development: Local Clusters in a Global Economy," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 14(1), pages 15-34, February.
- Ivan Turok, 2009. "The distinctive city: pitfalls in the pursuit of differential advantage," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 41(1), pages 13-30, January.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Ivan Turok, 2004. "Cities, Regions and Competitiveness," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1069-1083.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:jecgeo:v:13:y:2013:i:4:p:619-648. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.