Regional Competitiveness: Some Conceptual Issues and Policy Implications
As the notion of competitiveness itself arises many doubts regarding its meaning and interpretation, so does the notion of regional competitiveness. The important problem is that the conceptual issues related to the regional competitiveness have been translated to the regional policy level. They have implied many failures that the regional policy ¾ seeking to achieve competitiveness and consequently sustainable economic growth and well-being of its people ¾ has been experienced world-wide. The paper focuses upon what is meant by äregional competitivenessö. Through an analysis of this it tries to analyze some of conceptual issues that may be potentially misleading for regional policy consideration and action.
Volume (Year): 4 (2008)
Issue (Month): (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gajev trg 7, 31000 Osijek|
Phone: 031 224 400
Fax: 031 211 604
Web page: http://www.efos.unios.hr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Porter, 2003. "The Economic Performance of Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 549-578.
- Gillian Bristow, 2005. "Everyone's a 'winner': problematising the discourse of regional competitiveness," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 285-304, June.
- Ivan Turok, 2004. "Cities, Regions and Competitiveness," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1069-1083.
- Camagni, Roberto, 2002. "On the concept of territorial competitiveness: sound or misleading?," ERSA conference papers ersa02p518, European Regional Science Association.
- Michael Kitson & Ron Martin & Peter Tyler, 2004. "Regional Competitiveness: An Elusive yet Key Concept?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 991-999.
- Ron Boschma, 2004. "Competitiveness of Regions from an Evolutionary Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1001-1014.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osi:journl:v:4:y:2008:p:50-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hrvoje Serdarusic, PhD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.