Enhancing Regional Competitiveness Through the Entrepreneurship Development
Although there is no generally accepted theory of regional competitiveness, competitiveness (regional or urban) has become very popular subject of interest among scholars, business and policy authorities, where the latter are especially interesting in formulating regional policy aimed at boosting it (from the both demand and supply side). The main purpose of this paper is to discuss issues associated with the interpretation of regional competitiveness under the framework of achieving regional and national sustained economic growth and of contemporary findings in entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship, briefly considered in this paper, may be the driving force that enables the transformation of regional resources into regional and national competitiveness, added value, economic growth and development. The paper also focuses on the City of Osijek. It is the largest city of the Croatia's region named the Central and East Croatia. The region is positioned below the Croatian average and it is lagging behind. Lessons considering the early-stage process of entrepreneurship development in the City of Osijek and the role of policy authorities are discussed as well.
Volume (Year): 5 (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 031 224 400
Fax: 031 211 604
Web page: http://www.efos.unios.hr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Camagni, Roberto, 2002. "On the concept of territorial competitiveness: sound or misleading?," ERSA conference papers ersa02p518, European Regional Science Association.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max C. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195183511.
- Djula Borozan, 2007. "The Need For Entrepreneurhsip Development: The Case Of The City Of Osijek," JOURNAL STUDIA UNIVERSITATIS BABES-BOLYAI NEGOTIA, Babes-Bolyai University, Faculty of Business.
- Ivan Turok, 2004. "Cities, Regions and Competitiveness," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1069-1083.
- Ruta Aidis & , Julia Korosteleva & , Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2008. "Entrepreneurship in Russia," Working Papers 88, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Michael Kitson & Ron Martin & Peter Tyler, 2004. "Regional Competitiveness: An Elusive yet Key Concept?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 991-999.
- Ron Boschma, 2004. "Competitiveness of Regions from an Evolutionary Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1001-1014.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osi:journl:v:5:y:2009:p:731-747. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Branko Matic, PhD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.