EU enlargement and consequences for FDI assisted industrial development
Many of the new member states as well as candidate and accession countries of the EU are confident that membership will result in substantially increased inward foreign direct investment (FDI) in manufacturing. This paper discusses the policy issues and challenges that cohesion and accession countries face, applying lessons that by now have become mainstream in the parallel discussion of FDI-assisted development in the developing economies. We argue that globalisation has attenuated the benefits that accrue from EU membership for latecomers, and they must now compete for FDI not just with other European countries but also with non- EU emerging economies. We posit that they should not base their industrial development strategy on mere passive reliance of FDI flows without considering how to concatenate their industrial development and the nature of the MNE activities they attract.
|Date of creation:||21 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus E Meyer & Mike W Peng, 2005. "Probing theoretically into Central and Eastern Europe: transactions, resources, and institutions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(6), pages 600-621, November.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2002.
"Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions over Geography and Integration in Economic Development,"
NBER Working Papers
9305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian & Francesco Trebbi, 2004. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 131-165, 06.
- Rodrik, Dani & Subramanian, Arvind & Trebbi, Francesco, 2002. "Institutions Rule: The Primacy of Institutions Over Geography and Integration in Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 3643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- G R G Benito & B Gr�gaard & R Narula, 2003. "Environmental influences on MNE subsidiary roles: economic integration and the Nordic countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(5), pages 443-456, September.
- Sanjaya LALL, 2004.
"Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role Of Government Policy In Building Industrial Competitiveness,"
G-24 Discussion Papers
28, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Sanjaya Lall, 2013. "Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role Of Government Policy In Building Industrial Competitiveness," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 785-829, November.
- Sanjaya Lall (QEH), . "Reinventing Industrial Strategy: The Role of Government Policy in Building Industrial Competitiveness," QEH Working Papers qehwps111, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Christian Bellak & Markus Leibrecht & Robert Stehrer, 2008.
"The Role of Public Policy in Closing Foreign Direct Investment Gaps: An Empirical Analysis,"
wiiw Working Papers
48, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- C. Bellak & M. Leibrecht & R. Stehrer, 2010. "The role of public policy in closing foreign direct investment gaps: an empirical analysis," Empirica, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 19-46, February.
- Altomonte, Carlo & Guagliano, Claudia, 2003. "Comparative study of FDI in Central and Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 223-246, June.
- Dani Rodrik, 1996. "Understanding Economic Policy Reform," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 9-41, March.
- Frank Barry, 2004. "Prospects for Ireland in an Enlarged EU," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 829-852, 06.
- Elizabeth Asiedu, 2006. "Foreign Direct Investment in Africa: The Role of Natural Resources, Market Size, Government Policy, Institutions and Political Instability," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 63-77, 01.
- Christian Bellak & Markus Leibrecht, 2007. "How to Make FDI in Central and Eastern European Countries Sustainable," Chapters, in: Foreign Direct Investment in Europe, chapter 15 Edward Elgar.
- Kalotay, Kalman, 2004. "The European flying geese: New FDI patterns for the old continent?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 27-49, April.
- Fritz Breuss & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, .
"The Impact of Agenda 2000's Structural Policy Reform on FDI in the EU,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Breuss, Fritz & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2001. "The impact of Agenda 2000's structural policy reform on FDI in the EU," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 807-820, October.
- Narula Rajneesh & Criscuolo Paola, 2002.
"A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: Aggregating Cohen and Levinthal,"
018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Paola Criscuolo & Rajneesh Narula, 2008. "A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: aggregating Cohen and Levinthal," The European Journal of Development Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 56-73.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Kokta, Robert M. & Piazolo, Daniel, 2003. "Foreign direct investment in Europe: Is there redirection from the South to the East?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 94-109, March.
- Christian Bellak & Markus Leibrecht & Joze P. Damijan, 2007.
"Infrastructure endowment and corporate income taxes as determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Central- and Eastern European Countries,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
19307, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Christian Bellak & Markus Leibrecht & Jože P. Damijan, 2009. "Infrastructure Endowment and Corporate Income Taxes as Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 267-290, 02.
- Aurora Galego & Carlos Vieira & Isabel Vieira, 2004. "The CEEC as FDI Attractors: A Menace to the EU Periphery?," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(5), pages 74-91, September.
- Kimberly A. Clausing & Cosmina L. Dorobantu, 2005. "Re-entering Europe: Does European Union candidacy boost foreign direct investment?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 77-103, 01.
- Ramos, Joseph, 2000. "Policy Directions for the New Economic Model in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1703-1717, September.
- Garmel, Kateryna & Maliar, Lilia & Maliar, Serguei, 2008. "EU eastern enlargement and foreign investment: Implications from a neoclassical growth model," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 307-325, June.
- Brenton, Paul & Di Mauro, Francesca, 1999. "The Potential Magnitude and Impact of FDI flows to CEECs," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 59-74.
- Joze Mencinger, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Always Enhance Economic Growth?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 491-508, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:emxxdp:em-dp2008-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Quick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.