Mutual trade and investment of the Visegrad countries before and after their EU accession
The paper addresses the period preceding and following the EU accession in 2004 reconstructing the major developments in trade and FDI. It relies on the detailed bilateral trade and FDI data of the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia. The assessment sheds new light on the growth and restructuring of trade due to integration into the European corporate structures. But unlike trade, FDI between the four Visegrad countries did not change much in the years following EU accession. The conclusion of the paper is that foreign investors coming into these countries from the EU-15 and other advanced countries were the real engines of the revival in mutual trade.
Volume (Year): 2(2) (2011)
Issue (Month): (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cse.uaic.ro|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabor Hunya, 2004. "Manufacturing FDI in New EU Member States - Foreign Penetration and Location Shifts between 1998 and 2002," wiiw Research Reports 311, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, June.
- Cecília Hornok, 2010. "Trade-Enhancing EU Enlargement and the Resurgence of East-East Trade," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 79-94.
- Neil Foster-McGregor, 2012. "On the Volume and Variety of Intra-Bloc Trade in an Expanded European Union," wiiw Working Papers 87, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Gabor Hunya, 2002. "Recent Impacts of Foreign Direct Investment on Growth and Restructuring in Central European Transition Countries," wiiw Research Reports 284, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Lionel Fontagné, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment and International Trade: Complements or Substitutes?," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 1999/3, OECD Publishing.
- Sandor Richter, 2012. "Changes in the Structure of Intra-Visegrad Trade after the Visegrad Countries’ Accession to the European Union," wiiw Statistical Reports 5, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Christian Bellak & Rajneesh Narula, 2008.
"EU enlargement and consequences for FDI assisted industrial development,"
Economics & Management Discussion Papers
em-dp2008-69, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Bellak, Christian, 2008. "EU enlargement and consequences for FDI assisted industrial development," MERIT Working Papers 067, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Gabor Hunya & Monika Schwarzhappel, 2010. "FDI in the CEECs Hit Hard by the Global Crisis," wiiw FDI Reports 2010-05, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jes:journl:y:2011:v:2:p:77-91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alupului Ciprian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.