The structure of location choice for new U.S. manufacturing investments in Asia-Pacific
Despite an extensive literature on the determinants of the foreign location choices by multinational firms, researchers have only recently begun to systematically examine how these firms form their location consideration sets. When considering new foreign locations, do firms evaluate the attributes of the alternatives at the national level, the sub-national regional level, at some other level of geographical aggregation, or using some combination of these? This paper employs discrete choice models to examine how U.S. multinational firms form their consideration sets over locations in the Asia-Pacific area and to identify some of the relevant location attributes. The results are consistent with a sequential, or hierarchical, decision-making process in which firms first select a host country based on one set of attributes and then select a region within that country is selected based on another set of attributes. Most of the location attributes that are found to be significant are related to productivity-enhancing features, such as worker skills, industrial agglomeration, and extensive transportation infrastructure, rather than features related to factor prices, such as low-wage labor.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Miao Wang, 2004.
"Inappropriate Pooling of Wealthy and Poor Countries in Empirical FDI Studies,"
Working Papers and Research
0903, Marquette University, Center for Global and Economic Studies and Department of Economics.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Miao Wang, 2004. "Inappropriate Pooling of Wealthy and Poor Countries in Empirical FDI Studies," NBER Working Papers 10378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen Chunlai, 1997. "Provincial Characteristics and Foreign Direct Investment Location Decision within China," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1997-16, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Scholarly Articles 3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555, October.
- Brown, Martin & Philips, Peter, 1986. "Craft Labor and Mechanization in Nineteenth-Century American Canning," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(03), pages 743-756, September.
- Peter J Buckley & Timothy M Devinney & Jordan J Louviere, 2007. "Do managers behave the way theory suggests? A choice-theoretic examination of foreign direct investment location decision-making," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(7), pages 1069-1094, December.
- Park, C Whan & Lessig, V Parker, 1981. " Familiarity and Its Impact on Consumer Decision Biases and Heuristics," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(2), pages 223-30, September.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Shaoming Cheng & Roger Stough, 2006. "Location decisions of Japanese new manufacturing plants in China: a discrete-choice analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 369-387, June.
- Homin Chen & Tain-Jy Chen, 1998. "Network Linkages and Location Choice in Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 445-467, September.
- Ronald C. Fisher, 1997. "Effects of state and local public services on economic development," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Mar, pages 53-82.
- Subramanian Rangan, 2000. "Search and Deliberation in International Exchange: Microfoundations to Some Macro Patterns," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 205-222, June.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Robert Z. Lawrence, 1993. "Japan?s Low Levels of Inward Investment: The Role of Inhibitions on Acquisitions," NBER Chapters, in: Foreign Direct Investment, pages 85-112 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hillebrand, Evan, 2008. "The Global Distribution of Income in 2050," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 727-740, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:46:y:2011:i:2:p:154-165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.