Why tax effort falls short of capacity in Indian states: A Stochastic frontier approach
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- David A. Grigorian & Hamid R Davoodi, 2007. "Tax Potential vs. Tax Effort; A Cross-Country Analysis of Armenia's Stubbornly Low Tax Collection," IMF Working Papers 07/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco Committeri & Carola Pessino, 2013. "Understanding Countries’ Tax Effort," IMF Working Papers 13/244, International Monetary Fund.
- Bagchi, Amaresh, 2003. "Fifty years of fiscal federalism in India: An appraisal," Working Papers 03/2, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Vasishtha, Garima, 2004.
"Some Patterns in Center-State Fiscal Transfers in India: An Illustrative Analysis,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt2722k3w2, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Vasishtha, Garima, 2004. "Some Patterns in Center-State Fiscal Transfers in India: An Illustrative Analysis," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1r02k470, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Vasishtha, Garima, 2004. "Some Patterns in Center-State Fiscal Transfers in India: An Illustrative Analysis," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt1r02k470, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Nirvikar Singh & Garima Vasishtha, 2004. "Some Patterns in Center-State Fiscal Transfers in India: An Illustrative Analysis," Public Economics 0412005, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:npf:wpaper:02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Dasgupta, Sugato & Dhillon, Amrita & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2009.
"Electoral goals and center-state transfers: A theoretical model and empirical evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 103-119, January.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Dasgupta, Sugato & Dhillon, Amrita & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2008. "Electoral Goals and Center-State Transfers: A Theoretical Model and Empirical Evidence from India," IZA Discussion Papers 3376, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wiji Arulampalam & Sugato Dasgupta & Amrita Dhillon & Bhaskar Dutta, 2008. "Electoral goals and center-state transfers: A Theoretical model and empirical evidence from India," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-14, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- M. Govinda Rao & Sen, Tapas K., 2011. "Federalism and fiscal reform in India," Working Papers 11/84, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Bharatee Bhusana Dash & Sami Angara V. Raja, 2009. "Institutions and the quality of governance: an empirical study on interstate differences in economic development in India," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 16(1), pages 1-26, June.
- Yuan-Hong Ho & Chiung-Ju Huang, 2009. "Tax-Spend, Spend-Tax, or Fiscal Synchronization: A Panel Analysis of the Chinese Provincial Real Data," Journal of Economics and Management, College of Business, Feng Chia University, Taiwan, vol. 5(2), pages 257-272, July.
- Kaushik, Arun & Rupayan Pal, 2012. "Political strongholds and budget allocation for developmental expenditure: Evidence from Indian states, 1971-2005," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-015, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rongili Biswas & Sugata Marjit & Velayoudom Marimoutou, 2010. "Fiscal Federalism, State Lobbying And Discretionary Finance: Evidence From India," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 68-91, March.
- K., Jothi Sivagnanam & M., Naganathan, 1999. "Federal Transfers and the Tax efforts of the States in India," MPRA Paper 3208, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prasant Kumar Panda, 2009. "Central Fiscal Transfers and Statesâ€™ Own-Revenue Efforts in India," Margin: The Journal of Applied Economic Research, National Council of Applied Economic Research, vol. 3(3), pages 223-242, July.
- Musharraf Cyan & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & VIoleta Vulovic, 2013. "Measuring tax effort: Does the estimation approach matter and should effort be linked to expenditure goals?," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1308, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Mundle, Sudipto & Chakraborty, Pinaki & Chowdhury, Samik & Sikdar, Satadru, 2012. "The Quality of Governance: How Have Indian States Performed?," Working Papers 12/104, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:qua:journl:v:14:y:2017:i:1:p:35-71 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cuf:journl:y:2017:v:18:i:1:valles-gimenez is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cuf:journl:y:2017:v:18:i:2:valles-gimenez is not listed on IDEAS
- Sandhya Garg, 2015. "Spatial convergence in public expenditure across Indian states: Implication of federal transfers," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2015-028, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- T.M. Thomas Issac & R. Mohan, 2016. "Sustainable Consolidation: Suggesting the Way Ahead for Kerala," Working Papers id:10789, eSocialSciences.
- Abhishek Anand & Lekha S. Chakraborty, 2016. "'Engendering' Intergovernmental Transfers: Is There a Case for Gender-sensitive Horizontal Fiscal Equalization?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_874, Levy Economics Institute.
More about this item
Keywordstax capacity; tax effort; stochastic frontier analysis; fiscal federalism;
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H29 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Other
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2014-09-25 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2014-09-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2014-09-25 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-PBE-2014-09-25 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2014-09-25 (Public Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:igiwpp:2014-032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/igidrin.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.