Share Equations versus Double Logarithmic Functions in the Estimation of Income, Own- and Cross-Price Elasticities
In this paper, we compare the results obtained by using double logarithmic demand functions with the one obtained by using functions that relate budget shares to the logarithms of prices and incomes in order to estimate income elasticities and own- and cross-price elasticities for a number of categories of goods. The share equation functional form allows us to model households which do not purchase all goods and estimate unconditional demands that are of interest for policy purposes. We report income elasticities and own- and cross-price elasticities for eight goods for 1993. We compare these estimates with those obtained by using the double logarithmic demand specification.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton, Angus, 1990.
"Price elasticities from survey data : Extensions and Indonesian results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 281-309, June.
- Deaton, A., 1988. "Price Elasticities From Survey Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 138, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Deaton, A., 1990. "Price Elasticities From Surveys Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 69, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- Magnus, J.R. & Neudecker, H., 1986. "Symmetry, 0-1 matrices and Jacobians : A review," Other publications TiSEM c1c491d0-f2bf-4de1-94f8-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jarque, Carlos M., 1987. "An application of LDV models to household expenditure analysis in Mexico," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 31-53.
- Stavrev, Emil & Kambourov, Gueorgui, 1999. "Estimation of Income, Own- and Cross-Price Elasticities. An Application for Bulgaria," Transition Economics Series 6, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Magnus, Jan R. & Neudecker, H., 1986. "Symmetry, 0-1 Matrices and Jacobians: A Review," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 157-190, August.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihstep:7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.