Estimation of Income, Own- and Cross-Price Elasticities. An Application for Bulgaria
In this paper we estimate income elasticities and own- and cross-price elasticities for a number of categories of goods. The methodology used was proposed by Deaton (1987). Expenditure and quantity data from Household Budget Surveys for Bulgaria are used. The households are geographically separated into clusters. The prices are assumed to be the same within each of the clusters, so that the effects of income and other demographic factors on unit values are determined and the variances and covariances of the measurement errors estimated in the first stage. Then, in the second stage, the spatial price variation between the different clusters is used for the estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities for various categories of goods. We report income elasticities and own- and cross-price elasticities for eight goods.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- Deaton, Angus, 1990.
"Price elasticities from survey data : Extensions and Indonesian results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 281-309, June.
- Deaton, A., 1988. "Price Elasticities From Survey Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 138, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Deaton, A., 1990. "Price Elasticities From Surveys Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 69, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Magnus, Jan R. & Neudecker, H., 1986. "Symmetry, 0-1 Matrices and Jacobians: A Review," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(02), pages 157-190, August.
- Magnus, J.R. & Neudecker, H., 1986. "Symmetry, 0-1 matrices and Jacobians : A review," Other publications TiSEM c1c491d0-f2bf-4de1-94f8-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihstep:6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.