Pooling-based Data Interpolation and Backdating
Pooling forecasts obtained from different procedures typically reduces the mean square forecast error and more generally improves the quality of the forecast. In this paper we evaluate whether pooling interpolated or backdated time series obtained from different procedures can also improve the quality of the generated data. Both simulation results and empirical analyses with macroeconomic time series indicate that pooling plays a positive and important role also in this context.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Rontgen, 1 - 20136 Milano (Italy)|
Web page: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/en/papers/index.htm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timmermann, Allan G, 2005.
CEPR Discussion Papers
5361, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Aiolfi & Carlos Capistrán & Allan Timmermann, 2010. "Forecast Combinations," Working Papers 2010-04, Banco de México.
- Marco Aiolfi & Carlos Capistrán & Allan Timmermann, 2010. "Forecast Combinations," CREATES Research Papers 2010-21, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- David Hendry & Michael P. Clements, 2001.
"Pooling of Forecasts,"
2002-W9, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Stock J.H. & Watson M.W., 2002. "Forecasting Using Principal Components From a Large Number of Predictors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1167-1179, December.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2004. "Confidence Intervals for Diffusion Index Forecasts with a Large Number of Predictor," Econometrics 0408006, EconWPA.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Inferential Theory for Factor Models of Large Dimensions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 135-171, January.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, "undated".
"Macroeconomic Forecasting in the Euro Area: Country Specific versus Area-Wide Information,"
201, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano & Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 2003. "Macroeconomic forecasting in the Euro area: Country specific versus area-wide information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jérôme & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2003.
"Interpolation and backdating with a large information set,"
Working Paper Series
0252, European Central Bank.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jerome & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2006. "Interpolation and backdating with a large information set," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2693-2724, December.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jérôme & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2004. "Interpolation and Backdating with A Large Information Set," CEPR Discussion Papers 4533, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-162, April.
- Nijman, T.E. & Palm, F.C., 1985.
"The construction and use of approximations for missing quarterly observations : A model-based approach,"
Other publications TiSEM
22310454-d7c0-4639-b9a7-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nijman, T E & Palm, F C, 1986. "The Construction and Use of Approximations for Missing Quarterly Observations: A Model-based Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 47-58, January.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004.
"Temporal Disaggregation by State Space Methods: Dynamic Regression Methods Revisited,"
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006. "Temporal disaggregation by state space methods: Dynamic regression methods revisited," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 9(3), pages 357-372, November.
- Graham Elliott & Allan Timmermann, 2008.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 3-56, March.
- Elena Angelini & Jérôme Henry & Ricardo Mestre, 2001.
"Diffusion index-based inflation forecasts for the euro area,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Empirical studies of structural changes and inflation, volume 3, pages 109-138
Bank for International Settlements.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "Diffusion index-based inflation forecasts for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0061, European Central Bank.
- Angelini, Henry, Marcellino, 2002. "interpolation with a large information set," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 72, Society for Computational Economics.
- Chow, Gregory C & Lin, An-loh, 1971.
"Best Linear Unbiased Interpolation, Distribution, and Extrapolation of Time Series by Related Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 372-75, November.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 1999. "Some Consequences of Temporal Aggregation in Empirical Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 129-136, January.
- Santos Silva, J. M. C. & Cardoso, F. N., 2001. "The Chow-Lin method using dynamic models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 269-280, April.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:igi:igierp:299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.