Pooling-based Data Interpolation and Backdating
Pooling forecasts obtained from different procedures typically reduces the mean square forecast error and more generally improves the quality of the forecast. In this paper we evaluate whether pooling interpolated or backdated time series obtained from different procedures can also improve the quality of the generated data. Both simulation results and empirical analyses with macroeconomic time series indicate that pooling plays a positive and important role also in this context.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Rontgen, 1 - 20136 Milano (Italy)|
Web page: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.igier.unibocconi.it/en/papers/index.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David F. Hendry & Michael P. Clements, 2004.
"Pooling of forecasts,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 1-31, 06.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano & Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 2003.
"Macroeconomic forecasting in the Euro area: Country specific versus area-wide information,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, "undated". "Macroeconomic Forecasting in the Euro Area: Country Specific versus Area-Wide Information," Working Papers 201, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Elena Angelini & Jérôme Henry & Ricardo Mestre, 2001.
"Diffusion index-based inflation forecasts for the euro area,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Empirical studies of structural changes and inflation, volume 3, pages 109-138
Bank for International Settlements.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "Diffusion index-based inflation forecasts for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0061, European Central Bank.
- Marco Aiolfi & Carlos Capistrán & Allan Timmermann, 2010.
CREATES Research Papers
2010-21, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2004. "Confidence Intervals for Diffusion Index Forecasts with a Large Number of Predictor," Econometrics 0408006, EconWPA.
- Stock J.H. & Watson M.W., 2002. "Forecasting Using Principal Components From a Large Number of Predictors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1167-1179, December.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jerome & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2006.
"Interpolation and backdating with a large information set,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2693-2724, December.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jérôme & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2004. "Interpolation and Backdating with A Large Information Set," CEPR Discussion Papers 4533, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Angelini, Elena & Henry, Jérôme & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2003. "Interpolation and backdating with a large information set," Working Paper Series 0252, European Central Bank.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1983.
"A Random Walk, Markov Model for the Distribution of Time Series,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 1(2), pages 169-173, April.
- Chow, Gregory C & Lin, An-loh, 1971. "Best Linear Unbiased Interpolation, Distribution, and Extrapolation of Time Series by Related Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 372-375, November.
- Fernandez, Roque B, 1981. "A Methodological Note on the Estimation of Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 471-476, August.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1983. "A random walk, Markov model for the distribution of time series," Staff Report 84, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
- Santos Silva, J. M. C. & Cardoso, F. N., 2001. "The Chow-Lin method using dynamic models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 269-280, April.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004.
"Temporal Disaggregation by State Space Methods: Dynamic Regression Methods Revisited,"
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006. "Temporal disaggregation by state space methods: Dynamic regression methods revisited," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 9(3), pages 357-372, November.
- Nijman, T.E. & Palm, F.C., 1985.
"The construction and use of approximations for missing quarterly observations : A model-based approach,"
Other publications TiSEM
22310454-d7c0-4639-b9a7-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nijman, T E & Palm, F C, 1986. "The Construction and Use of Approximations for Missing Quarterly Observations: A Model-based Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 47-58, January.
- Graham Elliott & Allan Timmermann, 2008.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 3-56, March.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-162, April.
- Angelini, Henry, Marcellino, 2002. "interpolation with a large information set," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 72, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Inferential Theory for Factor Models of Large Dimensions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 135-171, January.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 1999. "Some Consequences of Temporal Aggregation in Empirical Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 129-136, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:igi:igierp:299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.