Bootstrap tests of stochastic dominance with asymptotic similarity on the boundary
We propose a new method of testing stochastic dominance which improves on existing tests based on bootstrap or subsampling. Our test requires estimation of the contact sets between the marginal distributions. Our tests have asymptotic sizes that are exactly equal to the nominal level uniformly over the boundary points of the null hypothesis and are therefore valid over the whole null hypothesis. We also allow the prospects to be indexed by infinite as well as finite dimensional unknown parameters, so that the variables may be residuals from nonparametric and semiparametric models. Our simulation results show that our tests are indeed more powerful than the existing subsampling and recentered bootstrap.
|Date of creation:||10 Mar 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Y.K. Tse & Xibin Zhang, 2003. "A Monte Carlo Investigation of Some Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/03, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2005.
"Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance under General Sampling Schemes,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 735-765.
- Linton, Oliver & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2003. "Consistent testing for stochastic dominance under general sampling schemes," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2208, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Linton, Oliver & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2003. "Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance under General Sampling Schemes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2003,31, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1997. "A Conditional Kolmogorov Test," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1097-1128, September.
- Russell Davidson, 2006. "Stochastic Dominance," Departmental Working Papers 2006-19, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003.
"Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function Is Not Smooth,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1591-1608, September.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingred van Keilegom, 2002. "Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth," CeMMAP working papers CWP02/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function is not Smooth," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 450, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Linton, Oliver & Van Keilegom, Ingrid, 2003. "Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2167, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- Koul, H. L. & Lahiri, S. N., 1994. "On Bootstrapping M-Estimated Residual Processes in Multiple Linear-Regression Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 255-265, May.
- Peter Hansen, 2003. "Asymptotic Tests of Composite Hypotheses," Working Papers 2003-09, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Han Hong & Elie Tamer, 2007. "Estimation and Confidence Regions for Parameter Sets in Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1243-1284, September.
- Kyungchul Song, 2008. "Testing Distributional Inequalities and Asymptotic Bias," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-005, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Cahiers de recherche 9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Horvath, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr & Zitikis, Ricardas, 2006. "Testing for stochastic dominance using the weighted McFadden-type statistic," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 191-205, July.
- Enno Mammen, "undated". "Comparing nonparametric versus parametric regression fits," Statistic und Oekonometrie 9205, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Hardle, W. & Mammen, E., 1990. "Comparing nonparametric versus parametric regression fits," CORE Discussion Papers 1990065, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Gordon, 1996. "Nonparametric Tests of Stochastic Dominance in Income Distributions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1183-1193, September.
- Abadie A., 2002. "Bootstrap Tests for Distributional Treatment Effects in Instrumental Variable Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 284-292, March.
- Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2000. "Consistent bootstrap tests of parametric regression functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 27-46, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:08/08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emma Hyman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.