Conditional stochastic dominance testing
This article proposes bootstrap-based stochastic dominance tests for nonparametric conditional distributions and their moments. We exploit the fact that a conditional distribution dominates the other if and only if the difference between the marginal joint distributions is monotonic in the explanatory variable for each value of the dependent variable. The proposed test statistic compares restricted and unrestricted estimators of the difference between the joint distributions, and can be implemented under minimal smoothness requirements on the underlying nonparametric curves and without resorting to smooth estimation. The finite sample properties of the proposed tests are examined by means of a Monte Carlo study. We report an application to studying the impact on post-intervention earnings of the National Supported Work Demonstration, a randomized labor training program carried out in the 1970s.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whang, Yoon-Jae & Song, Kyungchul & Linton, Oliver, 2009.
"An improved bootstrap test of stochastic dominance,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we094827, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Linton, Oliver & Song, Kyungchul & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2010. "An improved bootstrap test of stochastic dominance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 186-202, February.
- Oliver Linton & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2009. "An Improved Bootstrap Test of Stochastic Dominance," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1713, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- Olivier Scaillet, 2005. "A Kolmogorov-Smirnov Type Test for Positive Quadrant Dependence," FAME Research Paper Series rp128, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2005.
"A Consistent Diagnostic Test for Regression Models Using Projections,"
Faculty Working Papers
09/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos, 2006. "A Consistent Diagnostic Test For Regression Models Using Projections," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1030-1051, December.
- Hall, Peter & Yatchew, Adonis, 2005. "Unified approach to testing functional hypotheses in semiparametric contexts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 225-252, August.
- Nikolas Topaloglou & Olivier Scaillet & University of Geneva, 2006.
"Testing foe Stochastic Dominance Efficiency,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
74, Society for Computational Economics.
- Wolak, Frank A., 1989. "Testing inequality constraints in linear econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 205-235, June.
- Khan, Shakeeb & Tamer, Elie, 2009. "Inference on endogenously censored regression models using conditional moment inequalities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 104-119, October.
- Rémillard, Bruno & Scaillet, Olivier, 2009.
"Testing for equality between two copulas,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 377-386, March.
- Yingcun Xia & Howell Tong & W. K. Li & Li-Xing Zhu, 2002. "An adaptive estimation of dimension reduction space," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 363-410.
- Ferreira, E. & Stute, W., 2004. "Testing for Differences Between Conditional Means in a Time Series Context," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 169-174, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we1138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.