Conditional stochastic dominance testing
This article proposes bootstrap-based stochastic dominance tests for nonparametric conditional distributions and their moments. We exploit the fact that a conditional distribution dominates the other if and only if the difference between the marginal joint distributions is monotonic in the explanatory variable for each value of the dependent variable. The proposed test statistic compares restricted and unrestricted estimators of the difference between the joint distributions, and can be implemented under minimal smoothness requirements on the underlying nonparametric curves and without resorting to smooth estimation. The finite sample properties of the proposed tests are examined by means of a Monte Carlo study. We report an application to studying the impact on post-intervention earnings of the National Supported Work Demonstration, a randomized labor training program carried out in the 1970s.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Escanciano, J. Carlos, 2006.
"A Consistent Diagnostic Test For Regression Models Using Projections,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1030-1051, December.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2005. "A Consistent Diagnostic Test for Regression Models Using Projections," Faculty Working Papers 09/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Linton, Oliver & Song, Kyungchul & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2010. "An improved bootstrap test of stochastic dominance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 186-202, February.
- Whang, Yoon-Jae & Song, Kyungchul & Linton, Oliver, 2009. "An improved bootstrap test of stochastic dominance," UC3M Working papers. Economics we094827, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Oliver Linton & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2009. "An Improved Bootstrap Test of Stochastic Dominance," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1713, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Olivier Scaillet, 2005. "A Kolmogorov-Smirnov Type Test for Positive Quadrant Dependence," FAME Research Paper Series rp128, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- Hall, Peter & Yatchew, Adonis, 2005. "Unified approach to testing functional hypotheses in semiparametric contexts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 225-252, August.
- Yingcun Xia & Howell Tong & W. K. Li & Li-Xing Zhu, 2002. "An adaptive estimation of dimension reduction space," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 363-410.
- Scaillet, Olivier & Topaloglou, Nikolas, 2010. "Testing for Stochastic Dominance Efficiency," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(1), pages 169-180.
- Olivier Scaillet & Nikolas Topaloglou, 2005. "Testing for Stochastic Dominance Efficiency," FAME Research Paper Series rp154, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Nikolas Topaloglou & Olivier Scaillet & University of Geneva, 2006. "Testing foe Stochastic Dominance Efficiency," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 74, Society for Computational Economics.
- Rémillard, Bruno & Scaillet, Olivier, 2009. "Testing for equality between two copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 377-386, March.
- Bruno Rémillard & Olivier Scaillet, 2006. "Testing For Equality Between Two Copulas," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 07-24, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Ferreira, E. & Stute, W., 2004. "Testing for Differences Between Conditional Means in a Time Series Context," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 169-174, January.
- Khan, Shakeeb & Tamer, Elie, 2009. "Inference on endogenously censored regression models using conditional moment inequalities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 104-119, October.
- Wolak, Frank A., 1989. "Testing inequality constraints in linear econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 205-235, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)