Do Biofuel Subsidies Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions?
Conventional wisdom suggests that subsidising biofuel production will reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. This paper shows that in many cases, and for a wide range of parameter values, this is not true. Biofuel subsidies can generate supply-side response by fossil fuel producers that accelerates their rate of extraction, even in the case where fossil fuel extraction costs are stock dependent. Thus, policies designed to reduce GHG emissions may, perversely, hasten climate change.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research/papers/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Long, Ngo Van & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1985. "Surprise Price Shifts, Tax Changes and the Supply Behaviour of Resource Extracting Firms," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(45), pages 278-89, December.
- BAHEL, Eric & MARROUCH, Walid & GAUDET, Gérard, 2011.
"The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities,"
Cahiers de recherche
02-2011, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bahel, Eric & Marrouch, Walid & Gaudet, Gérard, 2013. "The economics of oil, biofuel and food commodities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 599-617.
- BAHEL, Eric A. & MARROUCH, Walid & GAUDET, Gérard, 2011. "The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities," Cahiers de recherche 2011-02, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Eric Bahel & Walid Marrouch & Gerard Gaudet, 2010. "The Economics of Oil, Biofuel and Food Commodities," Working Papers e07-26, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Sumon Bhaumik & Howard J. Wall, 2009.
"Biofuel subsidies: an open-economy analysis,"
2009-053, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-Helene & Nostbakken, Linda, 2009.
"Fuel versus Food,"
2009-20, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2007.
"Public Policies against Global Warming,"
NBER Working Papers
13454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, . "Das grüne Paradoxon ; Plädoyer für eine illusionsfreie Klimapolitik," Monographs in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics, number 19627, December.
- Santiago J. Rubio & Luisa Escriche, 1998.
"- Strategic Pigouvian Taxation, Stock Externalities And Polluting Non-Renewable Resources,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1998-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Rubio, Santiago J. & Escriche, Luisa, 2001. "Strategic pigouvian taxation, stock externalities and polluting non-renewable resources," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 297-313, February.
- Gérard Gaudet, 2007. "Natural resource economics under the rule of Hotelling," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1033-1059, November.
- Murray C. Kemp & Ngo Van Long, 2007. "Extracting Several Resource Deposits of Unknown Size: Optimal Order," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-10, CIRANO.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idc:wpaper:idec10-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tom Kompas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.