Exchange Rate Policy in Chile since 1960: Political Economy and the Choice of Regime
This paper analyzes exchange rate policies in Chile since the 1960s. A brief overview of main policies is presented. Particular attention is paid to the two episodes of fixed-exchange rate as well as the reasons why policy makers may have arrived to those decisions. The paper also examines the long Chilean tradition of using a crawling peg to preserve competitiveness and as a quick exit during times of crisis. More specifically, this paper attempts to uncover political economy factors that may have influenced decisions on exchange rate policy. Empirical evidence on the economic environment during different episodes of exchange rate management as well as the political economy factors that may haveinfluenced the options are presented.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1999.
"Inflation stabilization and bop crises in developing countries,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 1531-1614
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carlos A. Vegh, 1999. "Inflation Stabilization and BOP Crises in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 6925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards & Daniel Lederman, 1998. "The Political Economy of Unilateral Trade Liberalization: The Case of Chile," NBER Working Papers 6510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose De Gregorio & Holger C. Wolf, 1994.
"Terms of Trade, Productivity, and the Real Exchange Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
4807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose De Gregorio & Holger C. Wolf, 1994. "Terms of Trade, Productivity, and the Real Exchange Rate," Working Papers 94-19, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Kevin Cowan & Jose De Gregorio, 1996.
"Exchange rate policies and capital account management: Chile in the 1990s,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 465-488.
- Kevin Cowan & José De Gregorio, 1997. "Exchange Rate Policies and Capital Account Management: Chile in the 1990s," Documentos de Trabajo 22, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:3076. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.