Real Options and the WTP/WTA Disparity
Presents a real options model of an agent's decision to purchase or sell a good under conditions of uncertainty, irreversibility, and learning over time. The agent's willingness to pay (WTP) and willingness to accept (WTA) contain both the intrinsic value of the good and an option value associated with delaying the decision until more information is available. The model explicitly demonstrates the effect that timing of an action can have on welfare measurement.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1070|
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shogren, Jason F. & Cho, Sungwon & Koo, Cannon & List, John & Park, Changwon & Polo, Pablo & Wilhelmi, Robert, 2001.
"Auction mechanisms and the measurement of WTP and WTA,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 97-109, April.
- Sungwon Cho & Cannon Koo & John List & Changwon Park & Pablo Polo & Jason Shogren & Robert Wilhelmi, 2001. "Auction mechanisms and the measurement of WTP and WTA," Natural Field Experiments 00516, The Field Experiments Website.
- Henry, Claude, 1974. "Investment Decisions Under Uncertainty: The "Irreversibility Effect."," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 1006-1012, December.
- Zhao, Jinhua & Zilberman, David & Heiman, Amir & McWilliams, Bruce, 2002. "Modeling Money-Back Guarantees As Financial Options," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5206, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kolstad, Charles D. & Guzman, Rolando M., 1999. "Information and the Divergence between Willingness to Accept and Willingness to Pay," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 66-80, July.
- Ian Bateman & Alistair Munro & Bruce Rhodes & Chris Starmer & Robert Sugden, 1997. "A Test of the Theory of Reference-Dependent Preferences," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 479-505.
- Thaler, Richard, 1980. "Toward a positive theory of consumer choice," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 39-60, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:cpaper:99-wp206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.