Competition, Prices and Quality in the Market for Physician Consultations
Prices for consultations with General Practitioners (GPs) in Australia are unregulated, and patients pay the difference between the price set by the GP and a fixed reimbursement from the national tax-funded Medicare insurance scheme. We construct a Vickrey-Salop model of GP price and quality competition and test its predictions using a dataset with individual GP level data on prices, the proportion of patients who are charged no out-of-pocket fee, average consultation length, and characteristics of the GPs, their practices and their local areas. We measure the competition to which the GP is exposed by the distance to other GPs and allow for the endogeneity of GP location decisions with measures of area characteristics and area fixed-effects. Within areas, GPs with more distant competitors charge higher prices and a smaller proportion of their patients make no out-of-pocket payment. GPs with more distant competitors also have shorter consultations, though the effect is small and statistically insignificant.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacob Glazer & Thomas G. McGuire, 1990.
"Should Physicians Be Permitted to 'Balance Bill' Patients,"
0005, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Glazer, Jacob & Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G., 1993. "Should physicians be permitted to 'balance bill' patients?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 239-258, October.
- Brekke, Kurt Richard & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2009.
"Price and quality in spatial competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7422, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Gaynor & Robert J Town, 2012.
"Competition in Health Care Markets,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
12/282, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Olivier L'Haridon & Alain Panaponaris & Camelia Protopopescu & Bruno Ventelou, 2/15. "Length Of Gp Consultation Within Two Payment Schemes," Working Papers halshs-00347449, HAL.
- Jessica Wolpaw Reyes, 2006. "Do Female Physicians Capture Their Scarcity Value? The Case of OB/GYNs," NBER Working Papers 12528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Bradford & Robert Martin, 2000. "Partnerships, Profit Sharing, and Quality Competition in the Medical Profession," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 17(2), pages 193-208, September.
- John Schneider & Pengxiang Li & Donald Klepser & N. Peterson & Timothy Brown & Richard Scheffler, 2008. "The effect of physician and health plan market concentration on prices in commercial health insurance markets," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 13-26, March.
- Jeffrey Richardson & Stuart Peacock & Duncan Mortimer, 2006. "Does an increase in the doctor supply reduce medical fees? An econometric analysis of medical fees across Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 253-266.
- Martin Gaynor & Rodrigo Moreno-Serra & Carol Propper, 2010.
"Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service,"
NBER Working Papers
16164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & Rodrigo Moreno-Serra & Carol Propper, 2013. "Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition, and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 134-66, November.
- Gaynor, Martin & Moreno-Serra, Rodrigo & Propper, Carol, 2011. "Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service," CEPR Discussion Papers 8203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Gaynor & Rodrigo Moreno-Serra & Carol Propper, 2010. "Death by Market Power. Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 10/242, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Gravelle, Hugh, 1999. "Capitation contracts: access and quality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 315-340, June.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 2003.
"Competition Among Hospitals,"
NBER Working Papers
9471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & William B Vogt, 2003. "Competition among Hospitals," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/087, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Martin Gaynor & William Vogt, 2002. "Competition Among Hospitals," GSIA Working Papers 2003-E20, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Johar, Meliyanni, 2012. "Do doctors charge high income patients more?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 596-599.
- Carol Propper & Simon Burgess & Denise Gossage, 2008.
"Competition and Quality: Evidence from the NHS Internal Market 1991-9,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(525), pages 138-170, 01.
- Burgess, Simon & Gossage, Denise & Propper, Carol, 2003. "Competition and Quality: Evidence from the NHS Internal Market 1991-9," CEPR Discussion Papers 4026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McKnight, Robin, 2007.
"Medicare balance billing restrictions: Impacts on physicians and beneficiaries,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 326-341, March.
- Robin McKnight, 2004. "Medicare Balance Billing Restrictions: Impacts on Physicians and Beneficiaries," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2004-13, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1991.
"Entry and Competition in Concentrated Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 977-1009, October.
- Timothy Gunning & Robin Sickles, 2013. "Competition and market power in physician private practices," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 1005-1029, April.
- Marco Alderighi & Claudio A. Piga, 2012. "Localized Competition, Heterogeneous Firms and Vertical Relations," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 46-74, 03.
- Elizabeth Savage & Glenn Jones, 2004. "An Analysis of the General Practice Access Scheme on GP Incomes, Bulk Billing and Consumer Copayments," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 37(1), pages 31-40, 03.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2013n23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Abbey Treloar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.