Competition, prices, and quality in the market for physician consultations
Prices for consultations with General Practitioners (GPs) in Australia are unregulated, and patients pay the difference between the price set by the GP and a fixed reimbursement from the national taxfunded Medicare insurance scheme. We construct a Vickrey-Salop model of GP price and quality competition and test its predictions using a dataset with individual GP-level data on prices, the proportion of patients who are charged no out-of-pocket fee, average consultation length, and characteristics of the GPs, their practices and their local areas. We measure the competition to which the GP is exposed by the distance to other GPs and allow for the endogeneity of GP location decisions with measures of area characteristics and area fixed-effects. Within areas, GPs with more distant competitors charge higher prices and a smaller proportion of their patients make no out-ofpocket payment. GPs with more distant competitors also have shorter consultations, though the effect is small and statistically insignificant.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: York Y010 5DD|
Phone: (01904) 321401
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/che
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glazer, Jacob & Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G., 1993.
"Should physicians be permitted to 'balance bill' patients?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 239-258, October.
- Jacob Glazer & Thomas G. McGuire, 1990. "Should Physicians Be Permitted to 'Balance Bill' Patients," Papers 0005, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Marco Alderighi & Claudio A. Piga, 2012. "Localized Competition, Heterogeneous Firms and Vertical Relations," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 46-74, 03.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2009.
"Price and quality in spatial competition,"
NIPE Working Papers
21/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Martin Gaynor & Robert J. Town, 2011.
"Competition in Health Care Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
17208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gravelle, Hugh, 1999. "Capitation contracts: access and quality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 315-340, June.
- Robin McKnight, 2004.
"Medicare Balance Billing Restrictions: Impacts on Physicians and Beneficiaries,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2004-13, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- McKnight, Robin, 2007. "Medicare balance billing restrictions: Impacts on physicians and beneficiaries," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 326-341, March.
- W. Bradford & Robert Martin, 2000. "Partnerships, Profit Sharing, and Quality Competition in the Medical Profession," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 17(2), pages 193-208, September.
- Martin Gaynor & William Vogt, 2002.
"Competition Among Hospitals,"
GSIA Working Papers
2003-E20, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor & William B Vogt, 2003. "Competition among Hospitals," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/087, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 2003. "Competition Among Hospitals," NBER Working Papers 9471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johar, Meliyanni, 2012. "Do doctors charge high income patients more?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 596-599.
- Burgess, Simon & Gossage, Denise & Propper, Carol, 2003.
"Competition and Quality: Evidence from the NHS Internal Market 1991-9,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4026, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carol Propper & Simon Burgess & Denise Gossage, 2008. "Competition and Quality: Evidence from the NHS Internal Market 1991-9," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(525), pages 138-170, 01.
- Jeffrey Richardson & Stuart Peacock & Duncan Mortimer, 2006. "Does an increase in the doctor supply reduce medical fees? An econometric analysis of medical fees across Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 253-266.
- Timothy Gunning & Robin Sickles, 2013. "Competition and market power in physician private practices," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 1005-1029, April.
- Elizabeth Savage & Glenn Jones, 2004. "An Analysis of the General Practice Access Scheme on GP Incomes, Bulk Billing and Consumer Copayments," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 37(1), pages 31-40, 03.
- Gaynor, Martin & Moreno-Serra, Rodrigo & Propper, Carol, 2011.
"Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Gaynor & Rodrigo Moreno-Serra & Carol Propper, 2013. "Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition, and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 134-166, November.
- Martin Gaynor & Rodrigo Moreno-Serra & Carol Propper, 2010. "Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service," NBER Working Papers 16164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & Rodrigo Moreno-Serra & Carol Propper, 2010. "Death by Market Power. Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Service," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 10/242, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Bresnahan, T.F & Reiss, P.C., 1989.
"Entry And Competition In Concentrated Markets,"
151, Stanford - Studies in Industry Economics.
- Jessica Wolpaw Reyes, 2006. "Do Female Physicians Capture Their Scarcity Value? The Case of OB/GYNs," NBER Working Papers 12528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Schneider & Pengxiang Li & Donald Klepser & N. Peterson & Timothy Brown & Richard Scheffler, 2008. "The effect of physician and health plan market concentration on prices in commercial health insurance markets," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 13-26, March.
- Olivier L'Haridon & Alain Panaponaris & Camelia Protopopescu & Bruno Ventelou, 2008. "Length Of Gp Consultation Within Two Payment Schemes," Working Papers halshs-00347449, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chy:respap:89cherp. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frances Sharp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.