Fiscal and Current Account Balances in a Model with Sticky Prices and Distortionary Taxes
This paper examines the interaction of fiscal and current account balances in open economies subject to monopolistic competition with sticky price-setting behavior, adjustment costs for investment, and distortionary labor income taxes. We find that the elasticity of exports with respect to the real exchange rate influences the correlation between the balances. In particular, in simulations with recurring shocks to productivity, we find that the balances are positively correlated for a range of export elasticities. However, for simulations with recurring real government expenditure shocks, we find that the balances are positively correlated under high export elasticity but negatively correlated under low export elasticity.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Den Haan, Wouter J & Marcet, Albert, 1994.
"Accuracy in Simulations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 3-17, January.
- Sibel Sirakaya & Stephen Turnovsky & N.M. Alemdar, 2005.
"Feedback Approximation of the Stochastic Growth Model by Genetic Neural Networks,"
UWEC-2006-03-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2005.
- S. Sirakaya & Stephen Turnovsky & M. Alemdar, 2006. "Feedback Approximation of the Stochastic Growth Model by Genetic Neural Networks," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 185-206, May.
- Abdelhak S. Senhadji & Claudio E. Montenegro, 1999. "Time Series Analysis of Export Demand Equations: A Cross-Country Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 2.
- Paolo Manasse, 2006. "Procyclical Fiscal Policy; Shocks, Rules, and Institutions: A View From Mars," IMF Working Papers 06/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Luca Guerrieri & Christopher Gust, 2005. "Expansionary Fiscal Shocks and the US Trade Deficit," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 363-397, December.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel & Müller, Gernot J., 2010.
"Productivity shocks, budget deficits and the current account,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1562-1579, December.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel & Müller, Gernot J., 2005. "Productivity shocks, budget deficits and the current account," Working Paper Series 0509, European Central Bank.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- Gaspar, Jess & L. Judd, Kenneth, 1997.
"Solving Large-Scale Rational-Expectations Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 45-75, January.
- Albert Marcet & Guido Lorenzoni, 1998. "The Parameterized Expectations Approach: Some Practical Issues," QM&RBC Codes 128, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001.
"Closing Small Open Economy Models,"
Departmental Working Papers
200115, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Luca Guerrieri & Christopher Gust, 2005.
"Expansionary fiscal shocks and the trade deficit,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
825, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1991. "Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 797-818, September.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory, 2006. "Reflections on the trade deficit and fiscal policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 679-682, September.
- Finn, Mary G., 1990. "On savings and investment dynamics in a small open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 1-21, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2006n21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (James Davis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.