Schätzung der Stillen Reserve mit dem Mikrozensuspanel 2001-2004 : eine Machbarkeitsstudie
"By arranging the Microcensus (the German Labour Force Survey) as a set of panel data it is possible to carry out longitudinal analyses. As participation in the survey is obligatory by law, the cases of non-response are minimal. For that reason the number of cases available is comparably high, so that analyses are even possible for small groups. This applies, for instance, to such a sub-population as the hidden labour force - an unused potential of the labour market that can contribute to securing the labour supply. The aim of this feasibility study is to assess whether the Microcensus Panel 2001-2004 can be used for the analysis of the hidden labour force. Due to the kind of data the study sets up the priority in the estimation of the discouraged workers, which might be understood as a subgroup of the hidden labour force. Discouragement has been defined according to the characteristics 'desire for work', 'looking for a job', and availability. The results show that it is possible to identify the discouraged workers in the Microcensus 2001-2004. However the analysis is limited by spatial mobility because the Microcensus has been designed as an area sample and is characterised by the fact that households which move elsewhere are no longer interviewed. As a result, only persons who do not move are covered by the Microcensus. As mobility is probably related to the labour market status this feature of the sampling might cause biased panel estimation. Unfortunately the panel weights are only of limited use as well. In addition, because of the high requirements of anonymisation, only the transition between 2002 and 2003 can be analysed." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||16 Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew Gray & Alexandra Heath & Boyd Hunter, 2002. "An Exploration of Marginal Attachment to the Australian Labour Market," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2002-07, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 1-9.
- Elke Holst & Jürgen Schupp, 2000. "Stille Reserve wichtig für die Arbeitsmarktflexibilität in Deutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 67(29), pages 457-465.
- Wanger, Susanne, 2006. "Erwerbstätigkeit, Arbeitszeit und Arbeitsvolumen nach Geschlecht und Altersgruppen : Ergebnisse der IAB-Arbeitszeitrechnung nach Geschlecht und Alter für die Jahre 1991-2004," IAB-Forschungsbericht 200602, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Andrea Brandolini & Piero Cipollone & Eliana Viviano, 2006.
"Does The Ilo Definition Capture All Unemployment?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 153-179, 03.
- Andrea Brandolini & Piero Cipollone & Eliana Viviano, 2004. "Does the ILO Definition Capture All Unemployment?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 529, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Fuchs, Johann & Weber, Brigitte, 2010. "Umfang und Struktur der westdeutschen Stillen Reserve : Aktualisierte Schätzungen (Extent and structure of the hidden labour force in Western German)," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201011, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Berngruber, Anne & Kaimer, Steffen & Kupka, Peter & Steinke, Joß, 2010. "Machbarkeitsstudie Schultypisierung : Kooperationsprojekt IAB / BA-Zentrale (SP III 22) (Feasiblity study in classifying schools : Cooperation project IAB/BA Central Office (SP III 22))," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201004, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Wuppinger, Johanna & Rauch, Angela, 2010. "Wiedereingliederung in den Arbeitsmarkt im Rahmen beruflicher Rehabilitation : Maßnahmeteilnahme, Beschäftigungschancen und Arbeitslosigkeitsrisiko (Reintegration into the labour market within the fra," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201001, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Xiaodong Gong, 2010. "The added worker effect and the discouraged worker effect for married women in Australia," Treasury Working Papers 2010-01, The Treasury, Australian Government, revised Mar 2010.
- Haller, Stefanie & Wolff, Joachim & Zabel, Cordula, 2010. "Einstiegsgeld als Gründungsförderung : Teilnehmerstrukturen und Determinanten der Förderleistung (Initial subsidies for start-up entrepreneurs)," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201009, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Gong, Xiaodong, 2010. "The Added Worker Effect and the Discouraged Worker Effect for Married Women in Australia," IZA Discussion Papers 4816, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lundberg, Shelly, 1985. "The Added Worker Effect," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(1), pages 11-37, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabfob:201102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.