Umfang und Struktur der westdeutschen Stillen Reserve : Aktualisierte Schätzungen (Extent and structure of the hidden labour force in Western German)
"The article analyses how the hidden labour force has developed in the recent past and what role the far-reaching modifications ensuing from the labour market reforms of 2005 (Hartz IV) have played. Estimations published by IAB in 2005 are used as a starting point. On the basis of these estimation equations, the hidden labour force was calculated up to 2007 using topical data. Against expectations, the present updated estimations show an increase in the hidden labour force in spite of the labour market reforms of 2005. The labour reserve increased strongly between 2004 and 2005 mainly among young people (under 25 years of age) and German women. In contrast, the number of elderly persons (over 50 years old) as well as the number of German men who were part of the hidden labour force dropped relatively sharply. This surprising growth in the hidden labour force may be caused by several effects: on the one hand the Hartz IV reforms enforced a principle of 'encouragement plus obligations' and were expected to result in a greater number of persons registering at the employment offices - persons, that is, who were capable of and available for work and had so far neither registered as unemployed nor were gainfully employed. On the other hand it is possible that the very negative information on Hartz IV spread in the media caused many people not to register. Moreover, as a significant part of the hidden labour force participates in employment and training schemes, such people are thus already registered and therefore not affected by Hartz IV. Altogether the updated estimations show that alongside official unemployment there is still a considerable hidden labour force of persons who are willing to work. Even after Hartz IV, the 'true' nature of underemployment is still considerably underrepresented by official data." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||22 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liam Lenten, 2000. "The Profile of Labour Force Discouragement in Australia," Australian Journal of Labour Economics (AJLE), Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School, vol. 4(1), pages 3-17, March.
- Miki Kohara, 2010. "The response of Japanese wives’ labor supply to husbands’ job loss," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 1133-1149, September.
- Elke Holst & Jürgen Schupp, 2000. "Stille Reserve wichtig für die Arbeitsmarktflexibilität in Deutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 67(29), pages 457-465.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joachim Möller & Alisher Aldashev, 2006. "Interregional differences in labor market participation," Review of Regional Research, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 25-50, March.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/2886 is not listed on IDEAS
- Odile Chagny & Jörg Döpke & Mathieu Plane & Rainer Schmidt, 2001.
"Labour Supply and Labour Force Participation in Europe, A Discussion of Some Recent Developments and Projections,"
Kiel Working Papers
1049, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Odile Chagny & Jörg Döpke & Mathieu Plane & Rainer Schmidt, 2001. "Labour Supply and Labour Force Participation in Europe – A Discussion of Some Recent Developments and Projections," Sciences Po publications N° 1049, Sciences Po.
- Robert Kollmann, 1994.
"Hidden unemployment: a search theoretic interpretation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7648, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kollmann, Robert, 1994. "Hidden unemployment a search-theoretic interpretation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 351-355, December.
- Kollmann, R., 1994. "Hidden Unemployment: a Search Theoretic Interpretation," Cahiers de recherche 9410, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kollmann, R., 1994. "Hidden Unemployment: A Search Theoretic Interpretation," Cahiers de recherche 9410, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- David Armstrong, 1999. "Hidden Male Unemployment in Northern Ireland," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(6), pages 499-511.
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, .
"The Measurement Of Unemployment: An Empirical Approach,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
09, McMaster University.
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, 1999. "The Measurement of Unemployment: An Empirical Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 147-162, January.
- Gong, Xiaodong, 2010. "The Added Worker Effect and the Discouraged Worker Effect for Married Women in Australia," IZA Discussion Papers 4816, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christina Beatty & Stephen Fothergill, 1996. "Labour Market Adjustment in Areas of Chronic Industrial Decline: The Case of the UK Coalfields," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(7), pages 627-640.
- Hans-Ulrich Brautzsch, 2009. "Arbeitsmarktbilanz Ostdeutschland: Deutlicher Beschäftigungsrückgang auch in den Neuen Bundesländern," Wirtschaft im Wandel, Halle Institute for Economic Research, vol. 15(11), pages 459-462.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabfob:201011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.