Spectrum Value for Coalitional Games
Assuming a `spectrum' or ordering on the players of a coalitional game, as in a political spectrum in a parliamentary situation, we consider a variation of the Shapley value in which coalitions may only be formed if they are connected with respect to the spectrum. This results in a naturally asymmetric power index in which positioning along the spectrum is critical. We present both a characterisation of this value by means of properties and combinatoric formulae for calculating it. In simple majority games, the greatest power accrues to `moderate' players who are located neither at the extremes of the spectrum nor in its centre. In supermajority games, power increasingly accrues towards the extremes, and in unaninimity games all power is held by the players at the extreme of the spectrum.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in GEB|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ratio.huji.ac.il/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dgr:kubcen:199920 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bilbao, J. M. & Fernandez, J. R. & Jimenez, N. & Lopez, J. J., 2002. "Voting power in the European Union enlargement," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 181-196, November.
- Nowak, Andrzej S & Radzik, Tadeusz, 1994. "A Solidarity Value for n-Person Transferable Utility Games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 43-48.
- Emilio Calvo & Esther Gutierrez, 2011. "A value for cooperative games with a coalition structure," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0311, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- Gilles, R.P. & Owen, G., 1999. "Cooperative Games and Disjunctive Permission Structures," Discussion Paper 1999-20, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ziv Hellman & Ron Peretz, 2013. "Graph value for cooperative games," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 50073, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Emilio Calvo & Esther Gutiérrez, 2013. "The Shapley-Solidarity Value For Games With A Coalition Structure," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 15(01), pages 1350002-1-1.
- Owen, G & Shapley, L S, 1989. "Optimal Location of Candidates in Ideological Space," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 339-56.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:huj:dispap:dp618. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilan Nehama)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.