A Discounted Stochastic Game with No Stationary Nash Equilibrium
We present an example of a discounted stochastic game with a continuum of states, finitely many players and actions, and deterministic transitions, that possesses no measurable stationary equilibria, or even stationary approximate equilibria. The example is robust to perturbations of the payoffs, the transitions, and the discount factor, and hence gives a strong nonexistence result for stationary equilibria. The example is a game of perfect information, and hence it also does not possess stationary extensive-form correlated equilibrium. Markovian equilibria are also shown not to exist in appropriate perturbations of our example.
|Date of creation:||11 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Feldman Building - Givat Ram - 91904 Jerusalem|
Web page: http://www.ratio.huji.ac.il/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. Forges, 2010.
"An Approach to Communication Equilibrium,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
516, David K. Levine.
- Forges, F., 1984. "An approach to communication equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 1984035, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- FORGES, Françoise, . "An approach to communication equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP 721, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chakrabarti, Subir K., 1999. "Markov Equilibria in Discounted Stochastic Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 294-327, April.
- Nowak, Andrzej S. & Szajowski, Krzysztof, 1998. "Nonzero-sum Stochastic Games," MPRA Paper 19995, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 1999.
- Amir, R., .
"Continuous stochastic games of capital accumulation with convex transitions,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1227, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Amir, Rabah, 1996. "Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transitions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 111-131, August.
- AMIR , Rabah, 1995. "Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transition," CORE Discussion Papers 1995009, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1988. "A General Theory of Equilibrium Selection in Games," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582384, March.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 2001.
"Markov Perfect Equilibrium: I. Observable Actions,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 191-219, October.
- Eric Maskin & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Markov Perfect Equilibrium, I: Observable Actions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1799, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Monahan George E. & Sobel Matthew J., 1994. "Stochastic Dynamic Market Share Attraction Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 130-149, January.
- Harris, Christopher & Reny, Philip & Robson, Arthur, 1995. "The Existence of Subgame-Perfect Equilibrium in Continuous Games with Almost Perfect Information: A Case for Public Randomization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 507-44, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:huj:dispap:dp596r. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tomer Siedner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.