A Discounted Stochastic Game with No Stationary Nash Equilibrium
We present an example of a discounted stochastic game with a continuum of states, finitely many players and actions, and deterministic transitions, that possesses no measurable stationary equilibria, or even stationary approximate equilibria. The example is robust to perturbations of the payoffs, the transitions, and the discount factor, and hence gives a strong nonexistence result for stationary equilibria. The example is a game of perfect information, and hence it also does not possess stationary extensive-form correlated equilibrium. Markovian equilibria are also shown not to exist in appropriate perturbations of our example.
|Date of creation:||11 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ratio.huji.ac.il/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- FORGES, Françoise, .
"An approach to communication equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-721, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Harris, Christopher & Reny, Philip & Robson, Arthur, 1995. "The Existence of Subgame-Perfect Equilibrium in Continuous Games with Almost Perfect Information: A Case for Public Randomization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 507-44, May.
- AMIR , Rabah, 1995.
"Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transition,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995009, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Amir, Rabah, 1996. "Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transitions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 111-131, August.
- Chakrabarti, Subir K., 1999. "Markov Equilibria in Discounted Stochastic Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 294-327, April.
- Eric Maskin & Jean Tirole, 1997.
"Markov Perfect Equilibrium, I: Observable Actions,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1799, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Nowak, Andrzej S. & Szajowski, Krzysztof, 1998. "Nonzero-sum Stochastic Games," MPRA Paper 19995, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 1999.
- Monahan George E. & Sobel Matthew J., 1994. "Stochastic Dynamic Market Share Attraction Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 130-149, January.
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1988. "A General Theory of Equilibrium Selection in Games," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582384, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:huj:dispap:dp596r. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilan Nehama)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.