Equilibrium analysis of dynamic models of imperfect competition
Motivated by recent developments in applied dynamic analysis, this paper presents new sufficient conditions for the existence of a Markov perfect equilibrium in dynamic stochastic games. The main results imply the existence of a Markov perfect equilibrium provided the sets of actions are compact, the set of states is countable, the period payoff functions are upper semi-continuous in action profiles and lower semi-continuous in actions taken by rival firms, and the transition function depends continuously on actions. Moreover, if for each firm a static best-reply set is convex, the equilibrium can be taken in pure strategies. We present and discuss sufficient conditions for the convexity of the best replies. In particular, we introduce new sufficient conditions that ensure the dynamic programming problem each firm faces has a convex solution set, and deduce the existence of a Markov perfect equilibrium for this class of games. Our results expand and unify the available modeling alternatives and apply to several models of interest in industrial organization, including models of industry dynamics.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Bajari & C. Lanier Benkard & Jonathan Levin, 2004.
"Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition,"
NBER Working Papers
10450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Bajari & C. Lanier Benkard & Jonathan Levin, 2007. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1331-1370, 09.
- Bajari, Patrick & Benkard, C. Lanier & Levin, Jonathan, 2007. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," Research Papers 1852r1, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- J. Levin & P. Bajari, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," 2004 Meeting Papers 579, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Levin (Stanford University) & Pat Bajari & Lanier Benkard, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 627, Econometric Society.
- Horst, Ulrich, 2005.
"Stationary equilibria in discounted stochastic games with weakly interacting players,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 83-108, April.
- Horst, Ulrich, 2002. "Stationary equilibria in discounted stochastic games with weakly interacting players," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,77, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- repec:spr:compst:v:66:y:2007:i:3:p:513-530 is not listed on IDEAS
- Amir, Rabah, 1996.
"Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transitions,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 111-131, August.
- Amir, R., . "Continuous stochastic games of capital accumulation with convex transitions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1227, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- AMIR , Rabah, 1995. "Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transition," CORE Discussion Papers 1995009, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bernheim, B. Douglas & Ray, Debraj, 1989. "Markov perfect equilibria in altruistic growth economies with production uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 195-202, February.
- Doraszelski, Ulrich & Escobar, Juan, 2010.
"A theory of regular Markov perfect equilibria in dynamic stochastic games: genericity, stability, and purification,"
Econometric Society, vol. 5(3), September.
- Juan Escobar & Ulrich Doraszelski, 2008. "A Theory of Regular Markov Perfect Equilibria\\in Dynamic Stochastic Games: Genericity, Stability, and Purification," 2008 Meeting Papers 453, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Doraszelski, Ulrich & Escobar, Juan, 2008. "A Theory of Regular Markov Perfect Equilibria in Dynamic Stochastic Games: Genericity, Stability, and Purification," CEPR Discussion Papers 6805, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, December.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 2001.
"Markov Perfect Equilibrium: I. Observable Actions,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 191-219, October.
- Eric Maskin & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Markov Perfect Equilibrium, I: Observable Actions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1799, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Curtat, Laurent O., 1996. "Markov Equilibria of Stochastic Games with Complementarities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 177-199, December.
- Dutta, Prajit K & Sundaram, Rangarajan, 1992. "Markovian Equilibrium in a Class of Stochastic Games: Existence Theorems for Discounted and Undiscounted Models," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 2(2), pages 197-214, April.
- Ulrich Doraszelski & Mark Satterthwaite, 2010. "Computable Markov-perfect industry dynamics," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(2), pages 215-243.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- Duffie, Darrell, et al, 1994. "Stationary Markov Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 745-81, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:31:y:2013:i:1:p:92-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.